Discuss Problem basin tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, newbie first post!
Could do with some advice please.... Have looked through all(?) tap posts to no avail.
Have completely refurbed large ensuite using a bathroom suite from the now defunct Focus; one of the more expensive ones...
When I turn on cold basin tap, if turned on slowly it starts, then stops. When turned slightly further, full mains pressure water hits the sink and everything close. Closing slowly results in a false off position and after a minute or so, starts running again. Needless to say, turning the tap on normally results in a soaking! I have a very clean floor!?
If I crack the bath tap, the basin tap appears to perform as it should. Seems as if the washer is sticking to the seat??
Hot tap - low pressure at the moment - is ok. Is it that I have taps designed for low pressure? I do not recall anything on the box/instructions when installing them. At the moment I am running with the service valve adjusted to give a low flow, but as you will know is very noisy!! Bit concerned as am going to be fitting a heat store in a month or two; cold water is one thing, but hot..........?
Any/all advice will be very gratefully received. Regards

Came across that once. The tap washer in my case had squashed and spread out so it was catching on the inside of the tap body. Take the tap mechanism out and have a look. Grease up the washer and workings with silicone grease and see if it helps.

Hi, try take it apart and look for the obviouse like its come apart,, if you,r shure the taps not faulty you need a presure reducing valve not a service valve turned down,, two separate things..
service valve just reduceces flow but you need to adjust/reduce presure, this will also reduce noise.
You want i set at about 1-2bar..

WHPES, REDESAW and Brendan. Thank you for your replies!

Have just taken tap apart and could find nothing wrong... So have have applied a thin film of vaseline, re-assembled and it now works without drenching me on full flow. There is still a tendency to jump a little, but think this may have been due to the spindle tending to stick in the body; strange as it has done it from new, and I stripped it then too, but don't think I lubed the spindle. Any way it is now quiet. The service valve was temp until I could get a roundtuit - only 1 year, but I guess you know the feeling!!
Any way, thank you all again for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Problem basin tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I’ve lost the pressure from the outside tap. It was working fine. I have checked the washer on the outside tap and the inside stop valve seen in...
Replies
Views
My outside tap has had really low pressure after the cold weather a few weeks ago. Its connected from under the kitchen sink, and can be isolated...
Replies
Views
I recently read a post / comment whereby there was a recommendation that if you are away from your home more than 24 hours, then you should turn...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I wonder if you can help me? I have intermittent hot water low flow from all taps in my 4 bedroom house upstairs and downstairs. I...
Replies
Views
I had new taps fitted within the last year on my bathroom sink. When turning on both the hot or cold tap, there is a vibration/squeaking noise, if...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock