Discuss Priority domestic hot water PDHW in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone,

I have a customer who needs a new system boiler, currently has a 22kw which I've roughly calculated as enough heat output for the heating (its a 6 bed victorian terrace house), but this doesn't take the 200l unvented cylinder demand into account. Currently the system is setup on S plan, with no priority domestic hot water. When I fit the new boiler, I would like to try and set it up with PDHW for obvious reasons, but I'm not sure if this is possible with the existing two x 2 port valves (both normally closed).

I know PDHW is a hot topic at the mo, but I've not delved into it as yet (mostly combis in my area). I've found a wiring diagram for W plan using a three port (2 position) valve, but can't find any wiring diagram for a two x 2 port valve arrangement. I've found a little info on X plan, but again, not much info out there and it looks like it's something to do with Intergas boilers. I will be fitting a Vaillant on this particular job.

If any of you guys can point me in the right direction that would be great.

Thanks, Lee.

Have you looked at the Viessmann’s 4 pipe system?

if you must go with vaillant you will require there controls best speak with your local rep they should have a drawing and will help you to set it up

What a coincidence.

I've just joined a Facebook heating and hot water group. One of the recent comments on a post mentioned PDHW, although I'm still not sure what this as a system is. I have found no information online and only a little on X plan system.
Can someone explain to me how a PDHW system works and secondly what an x plan system is?
From what little I have found on x plan is it ramps the boiler up to full load drastically decreasing recovery times? The CH side is on a normally open 2 port valve

What a coincidence.

I've just joined a Facebook heating and hot water group. One of the recent comments on a post mentioned PDHW, although I'm still not sure what this as a system is. I have found no information online and only a little on X plan system.
Can someone explain to me how a PDHW system works and secondly what an x plan system is?
From what little I have found on x plan is it ramps the boiler up to full load drastically decreasing recovery times? The CH side is on a normally open 2 port valve

priority hot water even if heatings calling it will do hot water first (full output of the boiler goes to hot water) so the recovery times are great has its plus and minus points tho

And am I right in thinking the x plan is this which ramps boiler up to match cylinder coil rating? Does the primary flow temperature ramp up as well to match the 80-85°c most cylinders state their reheat times at?

And am I right in thinking the x plan is this which ramps boiler up to match cylinder coil rating? Does the primary flow temperature ramp up as well to match the 80-85°c most cylinders state their reheat times at?

yes ramps upto max load and then waits for the dry pocket sensor to say when to turn off / back onto heating

believe it’s intergas versions of a Viessmann 4 pipe

Thanks buddy. I know this is gas stuff at the moment but hopefully oil will get there eventually 😂

it’s like anything need more demand for progress else manufacturers won’t look into it :D

Exactly. Domestic oil boilers have been fixed rate for a long time. With pressure jet technology coming along we are now starting to see modulating domestic boilers, although still a long way to go. When it does take off then the oil industry will be able to utilise opentherm, weather compensation, load compensation etc technology.
[automerge]1589927400[/automerge]
Shaun above is a screenshot of the X plan from Intergas.
As you can see on the 24 volt side of PCB is feed to DHW timer and a NTC cylinder sensor.
Am i right in thinking these sensors can be set to a set temperature and must be set just below cylinder stat setting?
If that sensor was set to say 70°c and a cylinder stat to 60°c then that sensor will still require a load even though HW zone valve has closed and CH has opened again. This will obviously keep burner running at full load.
Screenshot_20200519-212034_Drive.jpg

Last edited:
No stat the sensor replaces the stat/cylinder stat

just used as an overheat stat eg 70

Reply to Priority domestic hot water PDHW in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I am looking into a new Main eco compact / Baxi 618 system boiler set up for PDHW (if its possible) I was hoping to use the EPH controls priority...
Replies
Views
We live in a 1980s four-bedroom detached house. The time has come for new central heating. The current system is a mild revision of the original...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Afternoon. I have an issue with no water flow from any of the hot taps in the house, I can't seem to find a solution to the issue. System is a...
Replies
Views
M
I've got a heating boiler which heats up the water in a tank located in a cupboard upstairs and then from there I get hot water & hearing. I get...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock