Discuss Pricing up work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Aqua Mechanica

I have been plumbing two and half years, got my Tech Cert level 2, NVQ level 2, Energy Efficiency Cert and Unvented Cert.

Have always worked as a sub contractor on price work however I quit after not being paid quite a hefty sum of money I was owed (which seems to be a very common thing these days for subbies)

I'm gonna start advertising and doing jobs in my local area. Have had some work already but find I keep loosing out financially and underpricing myself.

Just wanted to ask, from both a sole trader and a limited company point of view, what do you consider when you price and how do you price your jobs.

I bought a book called Spon's Estimating Costs Guide to Plumbing and Heating but it feels a bit dated.

Please feel free to message me privately if you do not wish those that are not plumbers to see this.

I am based in South East London, I find geographic location normally affects cost.

Thanks

Ben

I have been plumbing two and half years, got my Tech Cert level 2, NVQ level 2, Energy Efficiency Cert and Unvented Cert.

Have always worked as a sub contractor on price work however I quit after not being paid quite a hefty sum of money I was owed (which seems to be a very common thing these days for subbies)

I'm gonna start advertising and doing jobs in my local area. Have had some work already but find I keep loosing out financially and underpricing myself.

Just wanted to ask, from both a sole trader and a limited company point of view, what do you consider when you price and how do you price your jobs.

I bought a book called Spon's Estimating Costs Guide to Plumbing and Heating but it feels a bit dated.

Please feel free to message me privately if you do not wish those that are not plumbers to see this.

I am based in South East London, I find geographic location normally affects cost.

Thanks

Ben
pricing guides are uselessusually ridiculously over pricing everything as a one man bad loking at general works in your area id be looking for 200 a day when working for the public and 160 a day for builders
generally you have to work out your matierial cost and then add on what you want for the time its going to take then some for profit
as a guide id say minimum 55 for any callout ballvalves washers etc
change a rad like for like 80 upwards labour only, same for one valvethen extra 20 for each valve after that
straight swop bath rooms 350 a days work and some traps fittings and a multi quick inc
anything more involved you have to price as you see it after a while youll get a feel for whats right for each job
always make sure yor matierials are price right if a job takes longer all youve lost is time if the mats are underpriced its out of your pocket
hope this helps

Because plumbing is convoluted it is very difficult to accurately say how long a job will take.
So I just think in half days X how many men X how much

As for how much, think of the figure that you would like to earn each year,
and divide it by 2000 which is the number of normal working hours in a year,

Spons is a waste of time for plumbing each edition is worse than the last, the author
is useless I (a lowly plumber) have often thought I could offer my services to the publisher and do a much better job.

hmmm i think 200 is a little low for your area in my opinion. As a gas engineer in my area thats what i would aim for. but in saying that i just noticed your not gas safe registered.

To be honest you know how long most jobs will take, and you would allow for any problems. Sometimes you have none so your quids up, then sometimes you have loads but its been balanced. Best to stick to your price really, especially if you dont really know the customer. Always aim to make 10-15% of goods. Allow for anytime you have been out to look at the job beforehand,and if its a larger job, allow for coming back and snagging.

Iv only been on my own for 6 months, and have made a few errors with pricing, but you learn for your mistakes and also learn how much a job is worth. Plus becomign friendly with other plumber helps, so when you havent got your own work you can subby for them.

Also if it sounds lke a job will lead to other jobs with a customer, give them a better price (and do a decent job) to guarentee you will get it.

Thanks for all the help, I definately have been underpricing my jobs, by a lot by the sounds of things.

I'm gonna attempt to do a priceguide for myself on what I wanna charge.

Is there anything else you take into consideration? Insurances you pay out, overheads?

Last edited by a moderator:
[

Also if it sounds lke a job will lead to other jobs with a customer, give them a better price (and do a decent job) to guarentee you will get it.[/QUOTE]

but beware of the ive got ten houses and if you do this for feck all you can have all my work trap
my reply is usually ill price this one right when you give me the next job ill start discounting
or on a bad day its just f off

You'v ebeen a great help Steve, thanks very much.

Spons Estimating Guide is going in the bin ;-)

Hi,
I'm so please I just read this, I was thinking about buying Spoon's....saved me from throwing it straight in the bin- probably still unwrapped!

So its almost 3 years since the prices were added on this thread and as I'm about to become a sole trader might I ask what plumbers in Norfolk might charge in 2012? per day , hour , job etc.

I know I'll make some mistakes but any help would be most welcome.

thx
adam

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pricing up work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock