Discuss Pricing + acceptable rates and mark up in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

That probably means you charged under the going rate!
I'm not expensive, in fairness, but my friends have mostly taken the attitude that I wasn't going to rip them off and trusted me implicitely. But then I mean 'friends' and I'm quite choosy who I apply that label to.

It's funny. I did some work for my mother once on her let property and she complained about the price and how little time it took me (the only person who has moaned). I explained what had been involved behind the scenes and then she offered me extra. Lol. Then she noticed what the other workmen the letting agent sent charged (and how much better my work was, even when I was doing non-plumbing work). Now she just asks me if I'll do the work and to let her know what it costs because she knows if I take a job on, it's done properly and whatever needed doing is permanently resolved.

I had a plasterer friend tell me years ago that when you work for friends no-one is happy.
They think they're doing you a favour and you think your doing them a favour. His advice was 'don't do it'.
That being said you still do, infact I'm doing my partners sisters bathroom this week (I don't even do bathrooms)😫.

It's good to remind them that if you weren't doing their job then you'd be on another and if you don't charge properly then their job will actually be costing YOU money!

Working for family and friends can be a challenge and you feel a sense of duty to do it cheaper, but as said above if you wasn't working for them then you would be working elsewhere and getting your rate so this needs to be passed on, I was once told I was reassuringly expensive 😅 they know jobs get done properly the prep work which is of the utmost importance is carried out, jobs take that bit longer so the costs adds up , I never give quotes anymore I'll give a estimate and always allow a couple of days more because things do go wrong breakages, missing items, 20 % on your material cost is the norm I'd say 30% on smaller less expensive items I'd say your more than fair where you are price wise, it's the times we are living in bud everyone is struggling to make ends meet in the middle classes , and wealthy clients never want to pay full price for anything 😉👍 Kop

wealthy clients never want to pay full price for anything
Sooo true!
It's amazing the resistance I get from wealthy clients.
The latest was a customer who was straight up outraged by a £500 quote to repair their fire.
It's not so surprising to me that parts for a fire that cost £5000 10 years ago are going to be expensive but they would happily squeeze me out of any profit to save £50.

Sounds reasonable (maybe a bit cheap). I wouldn't change it if I were you, unless it's going upward.
I don't do mates rates or relatives either. I make that crystal clear and as a result I don't get work from them. Which suits me fine. It's a business, hard work, cold, dirty and dangerous a lot of the time. Not to mention expensive to kit out and run.

Ask yourself this:
Would they come round and sort your garden out for you or decorate your house, you know as a 'mate'? I doubt it.
Don't lose any sleep. Only work for those who appreciate your skill, knowledge and experience.

Reply to Pricing + acceptable rates and mark up in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I am starting a large victorian renovation and it will involve, (amongst everything else) installation of an entirely new heating and plumbing...
Replies
Views
Hi, Solar thermal not so big these days but a couple of Q for anyone who still works in it. Background. I'm an Electrician not a plumber.. I've...
Replies
Views
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm...
Replies
Views
H
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm...
Replies
Views
HRP123
H
Hi All, Last year, whilst working for a plumbing firm, we managed our team and office with a web and mobile app. Rather than use anything off the...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back