Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Powerflush twice within 14 months in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

bennythedip

Gas Engineer
Hello all,
i powerflushed a house about 14 months ago. All went well, no problems and all rads heating up perfectly after. Got a call the last day to say that 4 of them were not heating properly again, cold spots in the middle. They haven't had the heat running since end of April. Was just wondering had anyone come across this before? When I finished the flush the last time it was flushed thoroughly and inhibitor added. It's a hard water area. Thanks for any help.

It might not be sludged up - but you will need to check the ch water condition
to find out. If it is black or worse still brown then there might be a leak, they might be re-pressurising themselves if its a combi or system set up. This will wreck all your previouss work.

If its a open vented it might be topping itself up again wrecking the previous efforts. Did you use a branded water conditioner as there are alot of dogey stuff about - there have been
big scams involving fraud etc recntly - water milk and wd40 is the usual mixture !

Centralheatking

Sounds like the system may have issues that need addressing. A powerflush just removes what's in the system, it does not solve the reasons why corrosion happened in the first place of course. Normally air and/or fresh water is getting in some how.

If it's an open vent system make sure it is not pumping up into the expansion tank (sometimes only if a lot of rads are turned off).
Also check the system is balanced properly.
Pipes blocked partially will cause the rad to just heat sides & top.
Lastly, the circulating pump could be failing or magnetite inside it & this can cause the rads to not circulate properly, especially the last on the circuit. Circulating pumps are basically a motor & therefore a magnet & magnetite builds up.

Thanks for the replies. It's an open vent system so I think I'll turn off water to tank and see if it drops by much as there are no obvious leaks anywhere.

hey you let us all know how you got on thats how we all learn centralheatking

Power flushing will only cure the symptoms! If you are not replacing the boiler or altering the system. You always need to address why it became sludged up in the first place.
Look how the feed and vent are connected, height of the vent and how much head of water above the top of the system the expansion tank has.

Did you clean the f and e?
convince them to get a magnaclean as protects the system!!

Did you clean the f and e?
convince them to get a magnaclean as protects the system!!
I personally would not re flush it, just convince them to get a magnaclean and put chemicals in system!!

It's for a landlord and I still haven't been given the go ahead to even look at it yet! Don't think he's too mad about spending a few quid. Surely I would need to flush out the system again and clear the rads before getting a magnaclean on it?

Check pipework configuration, also if plastic piping in system....is it barrier pipe? It could be ingesting air!

It's for a landlord and I still haven't been given the go ahead to even look at it yet! Don't think he's too mad about spending a few quid. Surely I would need to flush out the system again and clear the rads before getting a magnaclean on it?

No, stick a magnaclean on it, put chemicals in system and leave for 4 weeks, go back in 4 weeks and flush it out, much better then power flushing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Powerflush twice within 14 months in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock