Search the forum,

Discuss Power flushing or Magnaclean filter system. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

StepOne

Hi,

I have oil fired central heating and have found that our radiators our not heating correctly i.e. hot at the top, cold at the bottom. I think this is caused by rust sludge gathering at the bottom of almost all the radiators.

Question: what is the best way to clean away the sludge, power flushing or Magnaclean filter system?

My gut feeling is that Magnaclean would have prevented the problem from happening but power flushing will be required to get rid of the sludge we now have.

I would welcome your opinion.

Many thanks

:welcome: to the forum StepOne :) From what you're describing it could well be sludge but may be other issues. For example a failing pump slowing down, a restriction in the supply to the radiators, issues with pipework configuration....! It'd probably pay you to get someone in to take a look and give you advice, in my opinion. :)

Question: what is the best way to clean away the sludge, power flushing or Magnaclean filter system?

Hi StepOne, and welcome.

When you mention the Magnaclean, do you mean the Magnaclean Filter or the Magnacleanse Mack 01 machine for cleaning dirty systems. They are both from the same manufacturer, but the former is a preventative measure and the latter a restoratitive tool.

There are a variety of ways to flush out a sludged up system, including either a traditional powerflusher, or the Magnacleanse, or these days the professionals quite often seem to use both together.

However, as diamondgas mentioned, there are other possible reasons for the symptoms you describe. Assuming that its an older system, sludge is likely, but not necessarily the cause.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you rads are not working very well due to sludge then a powerflush is the only really good solution followed by dealing with any causes of the sludge and installing a filter and some good inhibitor to help prevent future issues.

if you rads are not working very well due to sludge then a powerflush is the only really good solution followed by dealing with any causes of the sludge and installing a filter and some good inhibitor to help prevent future issues.

Unless it's micro *****

Hi Ray,

Is the Magnacleanse Mack 01 as effective as traditional power flushing?

Many thanks

Hi Ray,

Many thanks

Hi StepOne

I'm just a humble merchant, and don't soil my lilywhite mitts by doing anything as vulgar as actual work! :)

The professionals on here can give you a definitive answer (or at least their own opinion...)

THIS IS A REALLY GOOD TECHNICAL REPLY to a common problem perhaps we should give ourselves awards for the best help reply CHKn
:welcome: to the forum StepOne :) From what you're describing it could well be sludge but may be other issues. For example a failing pump slowing down, a restriction in the supply to the radiators, issues with pipework configuration....! It'd probably pay you to get someone in to take a look and give you advice, in my opinion. :)

Anyway -

1. I would shoot the whole system up with mains water pressure from an outside tap to a mt cock and then
let the water out from another - do or for ages and see what comes out into a bucket. Black water is not too bad but brown is quite serious.

THEN

2. I would take all the rads off - whizz them outside - set them up vertical and shoot some mains water pressure
and see what comes out. keep going to clear water.

3. Re- assemble - set up with water only (to check leaks) if all ok dump water then add inhibitor
I like Sentinel

Water condition ie chemicals in the ch water is more important
than any filter in my opinion - then get a good mag/debris filter
like a centramag -

Happy days
:crowngrin:
Centralheatking

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ray,

Many thanks

No. a powerflush machine is designed to move the water around the system at a very high flow rate compared to the central heating pump which helps it remove/dislodge alot of debris, it also removes non magnetic debris and allows you to flush everything out untill the water condition meets the requirements of the British standards and manufacturers. You can also use acid based chems etc....

Best solution is to use a powerflush machine with a filter alongside it to speed up the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Power flushing or Magnaclean filter system. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock