Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Potterton Profile takes 5 attempts to light but then works fine. Plus strange noise. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi guys went to a job today.

Potterton Profile.

When it should light, it takes approx 5 attempts, sometimes more but once it does fire up it all seems to run ok. The customer also complained of a "rattling or banging noise like metal on metal." I was at the property for just over an hour but I never heard the noises they explained but they did actually say it hasn't made the noise for a few weeks now.

I checked that the pump was running ok and it was, there was no problem with circulation that seemed obvious, all the rads were piping hot.

Also I phoned Potterton Technical (clowns) and out of curiosity I asked what checks can I do, the guy suggested checking resistance at the gas valve. Between blue and white and blue and black wires it should have 2 k ohms of resistance but I was getting 0.958 k ohms.

My boss said he thinks it's the pump on it's way out but I'm leaning towards the gas valve on its way out.

Happy to be proven wrong, more interested in the thoughts of you guys. Perhaps you think it's something else.

Thanks

Last edited:
Re: Potterton Profile takes 5 attempts to light but then works fine. Plus strange no

I'd be inclined to agree with oyu mate, if your only getting under 1 K of resistance from the coil and you should be getting 2 then it's signs of wear.

Re: Potterton Profile takes 5 attempts to light but then works fine. Plus strange no

Does the flame come on then go off over and over again? Had quite a few with dodgy pcbs causing this fault.

Does the flame come on then go off over and over again? Had quite a few with dodgy pcbs causing this fault.

Ive had this too mate. I'd say its the pcb 100%

PCB can be re soldered it's usually just a dry joint. Also check the fan blades are clean and that the restrictor to the aps is clear

Thanks guys.

No the flames werent doing that while I was there but the customer did say that they saw the flames shooting up and down.

While I was there the only thing that I noticed was the boiler attempting to light 'click' 'click' 'click' then after a few more clicks it would fire up as normal.

You guys still think PCB or gas valve?

Thanks guys.

No the flames werent doing that while I was there but the customer did say that they saw the flames shooting up and down.

While I was there the only thing that I noticed was the boiler attempting to light 'click' 'click' 'click' then after a few more clicks it would fire up as normal.

You guys still think PCB or gas valve?

What where your FGA readings like whilst you where there??

the inner flues on these are prone to rotting and can cause vitiation on the burner and flame.

Not sure if this would affect ignition though??

id say the pcb still though mate, although without seeing first hand it's not easy :)

Usual suspect is the PCB..! As mentioned they're prone to dry joints on the pcb... if memory serves me well it's the neutral connection where it plugs in at the front, or is it the live? one of the two :)

Thanks.

I think the boss may have ordered a new gas valve today though :oops:

Thanks.

I think the boss may have ordered a new gas valve today though :oops:

Well if he knows best then fit the part he thinks it is :) However if he's ordered it on your recomendation then :oops: :)

You could also check the pilot injector make sure its clear.

would be leaning towards pcb also,but i would also be checking the entire ignition circuit,and in regards to VT,s thoughts flues do rot away at the end on these boilers,and can cause lift on ignition,i would start with checking the flue look through the terminal it will be obvious if its shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Potterton Profile takes 5 attempts to light but then works fine. Plus strange noise. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock