Discuss Potterton Prima turning on and off in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone

I have an issue with my potterton prima boiler and would love some help. It works fine when either CH or HW are on but when they are off the boiler will fire up briefly and cut out again, it appears to be random and for 1\2 sec or severely seconds, it will continue doing this. I am turning off the power over night to stop it doing this.

My system is and old gravity-fed one, so I have HW or HW and CH. It had been working fine until last week, because the boiler seemed fine when CH or HW are on then I assumed (wrongly) that it was a control problem. Which is why I changed the old rotary dial switchmaster for a hive mini, but I still have the issue. This makes me think it's a problem with the boiler making it fire up without a signal from the controller.

So you have an issue with noise and random firing? Noise could be lots of things, random firing sounds like motorised valve failure
So the motorised valve is for CH if I select HW only will this remove the input from the motorised valve and prove the fault?

Excuse my ignorance but I thought the motorised valve shut off the CH side of the system and didn't have an input to the boiler. I can hear when it closes and I certainly only remember hearing it operate when the heating is set to turn off.

So here you go. Top of boiler pipe work. I have a junction box, the controls (formally the switchmaster now hive) are wired into it. Live and neutral wired to the junction box via the controller Motorised valve to the junction box, junction box to the boiler. There is also a wire from the junction box going up stairs which a assume goes to the hot water tank. The pump is on the hot water and the motorised valve on the heating. I checked and I could hear the motorised valve close when I selected hot water without heating.View attachment 290356View attachment 290357View attachment 290358.

20221228_171417.jpg
20221228_171520.jpg
20221228_171604.jpg
So here you go. Top of boiler pipe work. I have a junction box, the controls (formally the switchmaster now hive) are wired into it. Live and neutral wired to the junction box via the controller Motorised valve to the junction box, junction box to the boiler. There is also a wire from the junction box going up stairs which a assume goes to the hot water tank. The pump is on the hot water and the motorised valve on the heating. I checked and I could hear the motorised valve close when I selected hot water without heating.View attachment 290356View attachment 290357View attachment 290358.

Reply to Potterton Prima turning on and off in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Later this year I am going away for a 2 week holiday and as the weather will be warm there is no need for the heating to be on and arguably...
Replies
Views
I posted in summer as HW system banged when cooing down it is now even worse once CH is cooing down but it's common between both systems any ideas...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Hope somebody can help :) I have a vented HW system with a pressurised Ch system but got bit of a annoying issue, when the hot water...
Replies
Views
Customer complained of hot water tank getting hot when no demand Y plan system couldn't see any issues so I watched it Timer set to CH only, HW...
Replies
Views
Hello. I've just replaced our old Potterton EP2 CH controller with a Drayton Wiser HubR (& peripherals). The old backing plate wasn't...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock