Search the forum,

Discuss Possibly a good tip for nightmate toilet jobs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Specifically the ones where they leak between pan and cistern despite your best plumbers-mate-silicone-or-variety-of-doughnut efforts.

Take an inch and a quarter solvent elbow and glue a little bit of pipe into one end. Wrap that with ptfe and push it in the end of the syphon/drop valve thread. It directs the water straight into pan rather than it's natural route of downwards and then inwards.

Might not always fit/work but worked for me today.

Specifically the ones where they leak between pan and cistern despite your best plumbers-mate-silicone-or-variety-of-doughnut efforts.

Take an inch and a quarter solvent elbow and glue a little bit of pipe into one end. Wrap that with ptfe and push it in the end of the syphon/drop valve thread. It directs the water straight into pan rather than it's natural route of downwards and then inwards.

Might not always fit/work but worked for me today.

Can you provide a drawing?

Thread of syphon is 1.5". So a 1.5" bit of pipe and/or a 1.5" fitting will fit inside it. So if you put an elbow inside it it basically is as if the syphon's threaded tail is elbow shaped which you can use to direct water when flushed. Less chance of it whoosing up and over/around the doughnut.

The bit of pipe in the elbow just acts as a place to wrap ptfe to act as a sort of washer and also keep it inside syphon tail.

do you get what i mean? might not be explaining right.

stick one of these

http://www.plumbingworld.co.uk/onlinestore/mupvc_90.jpg

inside the thread of one of these

[DLMURL]http://www.fluidmasteruk.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/5/5/550074_dualflushvalve_240.png[/DLMURL]

angle elbow towards you and carry on as normal

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I thnk I get it. But if you put the elbow on the siphon thread, then the elbow sticks out the bottom? This the points to the front of the toilet? So the water leaves the siphon at a lower point and is directed? Sounds ok if it's when I think. Thx

Bingo. Worked a treat. No doubt will have cause to try it again before long. If it keeps working then toilets may have lost their potential for turning 45 mins into 2 hours, which is no small thing.

fine till your botch falls off and the fact you havent got a decent seal will be exacerbated by a load of pipe blocking the inlet

Watertight, i want to see it in action ;) i wont rest until uve uploaded a picture of your fine invention :)

fine till your botch falls off and the fact you havent got a decent seal will be exacerbated by a load of pipe blocking the inlet

it can't fall off. you start off with it being too long to sit properly, then you cut the thread of the syphon/drop valve shorter until it sits just touching the pan insides.

Lmao water tight, ive never had this problem. Always managed to seal them either with new RUBBER doughnut or silicone, not fan of plumbs gold etc. i would love to see yours in action tho dude

I just refuse to fit crap quality WCs any more. That sorts the problem for me.

Lmao water tight, ive never had this problem. Always managed to seal them either with new RUBBER doughnut or silicone, not fan of plumbs gold etc. i would love to see yours in action tho dude

You may have just been lucky. I know at least one other very experienced guy who has had a few nightmares. The one I had yesterday was the most peculiar thing I'd ever seen. The cistern was basket ball shaped ( including the top, with a round lid) and the hole the doughnut sits over on the pan wasn't circular, it was pizza shaped and had what looked like part of it's shape nibbled away with tile nibblers - leaving a jagged edge which I cut my finger on. I have a shoe box full of every available doughnut shape and material available in my van, rubber, foam, stepped, ideal standard, the lot. None came close to covering the whole. Plus the WC had been installed relative to the wall so that the cistern had to sit at an angle that too far forward pushing doughnut off centre. So it was a reinstallation (which no guarantee of success,) a new WC or an attempt something else.

I just refuse to fit crap quality WCs any more. That sorts the problem for me.

I fix more than I fit. Then you've no choice. And you just don't really know until you take cistern off pan. Then you're committed.

It's still at the field research stage. But so far The Water-Tight Flush Elbow™ is looking promising.

sounds good to me. Something I would have to put in to practice at home first I think though. I hate toilets.

Sounds like a million dollar business to me - Dragons den beckons!!
I'll definitely give it a try at some point and post your commision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Possibly a good tip for nightmate toilet jobs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock