Discuss Plumbing Question about Plumbing van mileage Plumbing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
This question is definetly about plumbing. Look at how many times the word had to be used in the title.

Anyway, I've never owned a van and only 2 cars. This I suspect is a very hard question to answer because it will differ with respect to the type of van but here goes..

You see vans for sale for 3+ grand (things like vivaros etc) with 120k on the clock. Never usually much higher mileage than that though.

So how many miles can you expect to clock on a van before it expires. I doubt people would spend 3 grand on something that's going to do 20k and then die. But if they regularly approach 175-200k why are there almost never any for sale at that mileage? Even if it made them dirt cheap.

Can't answer your question but did see a Transit Connect on an 07 plate for sale with 375k miles. It had a new engine at 310k miles and had been serviced on the nail. It had been used to courier internal documents up and down the country and looked absolutely mint. Others were around £3-3500 and this was at £2kish.

I suppose that if the van was doing easy motorway miles with not much load then you could budget £1-1500 for an engine change in the future if it was cheap enough and be pleasantly surprised if it keeps going because all the rest of the body/running gear/suspension has not been worked.

i got a mercedes vito serviced regularly never done 220000 never misses a beat they will run to about 300k then il chop it in

Last edited by a moderator:
My Uncle who is a plasterer, has just clocked 325000 on his 54 plate Transit. Engine still runs as sweet as a nut. Just the bodywork which has let it down.

On the other hand a chippie friend of mine has a 58 transporter, which has just had a new engine in it, due to the valves disintergrating and falling into the pots.

It really is just a case of pure pot luck. If you buy one that has been abused, then you may have trouble. But you can also buy one, that as my Dad says, is a friday afternoon car/van, and it can be a right dog also.

You pays your money, you takes your chance!

Graham

I've got a berlingo and its nearly done 160k on a 56 plate. Runs lovely and has not let me down yet.

So what do you reckon, should I save up 3 grand to buy something with 60-80k on the clock or chuck £1500 at something with 120k and take my chances?

So what do you reckon, should I save up 3 grand to buy something with 60-80k on the clock or chuck £1500 at something with 120k and take my chances?

If you go for 60-80k make sure its had a timing belt.

I personally think that high miles with a spot on service record shouldn't be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumbing Question about Plumbing van mileage Plumbing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock