Discuss Plumbing Problems – Hot Water Loop in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Star Cruiser

Hello UKPF. I'm a new member, in the process of trying to self-build a house. I hope I have come to right place for some good advice and help. I have a potential problem with my first fix plumbing hot water loop. I’ve since fell out with the plumber (long story) who undertook this and it looks to me that he maybe didn't know what he was doing in terms of my request for a hot water loop.

It’s not easy to describe, but here goes. Instead of plumbing a continuous loop to all the hot water points and then having a single return pipe, he has Teed off where needed with both a Hot Water Feed (22mm) and Hot Water Return pipe (15mm). Some of these Tees are a good few metres in length and I wonder if this method will work or not? I’m wondering if this will balance out ok?

I've drawn up a crude sketch of what I think is going on:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mssw7i02msu0309/Photo 03-09-2013 10 46 24.jpg

I don’t want the original plumber back, so I need to confirm if this will work or not or whether I need to alter.

Thanks in advance for any advice or help.

Looks over kill on the number of connections between the flow & return depending on how far away each tee is from the terminal fitting.
More of a worry is the fact you show a thermal store as the source of the hot water ? These are instantaneous water heaters & as such do not normal have secondary return systems installed.
I would be inclined to find yourself a good plumber or design engineer who can produce a layout & equipment schedule for you before things go wrong.

Photo 03-09-2013 10 46 24.jpgHope this helps.

Thank you for sorting the photo Chris and for your info.

My plan is for the thermal store to have solar thermal feeding it when the sun is good and also excess solar PV (4kW) via an electric immersion controlled by a immersun unit. The hot water supplies will be fed through a top-up gas boiler from the thermal store. Rinnai do a gas boiler range which will only top up the heat required from the thermal store supply, which is supposed to save gas consumption. No top-up required = no gas used. I'm not sure of there are other manufacturers of such boilers?

I really cannot believe what the previous plumber has done. Your advise is good, but like all thing it's finding a good plumber / designer who now willing to help me sort my situation.

Alpha boilers SolarSmart 100 do something similar to what you describe but as I say with both systems the water is classed as instantaneously heated so you will not be able to have a secondary hot water system as drawn. There are other ways of resolving the problem, find someone who knows what they are doing !!
Good luck.

The circulator is going to waste as much energy as you would just dumping water. Why are you going PV then immersion? Why not photo thermal directly ? Normally unless the branches are 3m or more only main leg is circulated and rest is dead legs . 3m of 15mm contains 0.002 m3 of water but will radiate at almost same rate as 22mm tube. Rationalise system, problems will be caused and amplified by a badly over specified system.

Why can I not reply to a post with a quote containing a url? That's a bug which needs sorting out on here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumbing Problems – Hot Water Loop in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, Later this year I am going away for a 2 week holiday and as the weather will be warm there is no need for the heating to be on and arguably...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock