Search the forum,

Discuss Plumbing Courses in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bates

Hello, I have been browsing this forum and i believe this is the right place to ask a question.

I have been working at a water mains company for over a year now. We provide WSP repairs/renewals through to the ISV and water softeners etc.
I work in the office managing our teams and maintaining stock so i already have a background knowledge.

I am looking to study the relevant courses and start my own business. I have looked through various pages and see a lot of people discussing different courses.

What courses would i need to study to be 'legal' to go out and work? and yes unfortunately i would be looking at a crash course/weekends.

I appreciate any response.

Thanks

Your certainly at the right place, start browsing, loads of good honest info on all the different courses. Maybe you could stick with your current job and do a part time evening course at a local FE college? That's what I did, cost me £60 and was worth every penny. Good luck

Thanks i have viewed the forum but direct answers here would be great. all the courses become confusing.

I am 21 and have a child so i cant afford to become a apprentice however i do have the money to study a course.

I hear the 6129 is now the C&G 6035.

I'd like to know what courses are needed to be set free on the world (i know experience is most important).

Thanks

Your certainly at the right place, start browsing, loads of good honest info on all the different courses. Maybe you could stick with your current job and do a part time evening course at a local FE college? That's what I did, cost me £60 and was worth every penny. Good luck

What cost £60?

Hi bates, I'm studying the 6035, it's very good. I wish I'd of been doing the 6189 as I'm working and am too old to get funding for an nvq. I already have two nvq's in drainage construction. Try and get on the 6189. If I was you I would try and get work with a plumber first, this is most important, and I really cant emphasise that enough. There are plenty of places to study, just be careful who you give your money too. I would really look at a part time college course and keep hold of the money. You will get funding due to your age. Hope this isn't too confusing.

It's not easy starting your own business, you need a customer base of some description, or contacts to get sub contract work. That's before the training.

It's not easy starting your own business, you need a customer base of some description, or contacts to get sub contract work. That's before the training.

As my current role i am the direct contact at my work for us to do work for our clients.

Im convinced i could pull some work out of our existing customers.

So if i wanted to pay for a fast track course what no. would it be?

Thanks

I'm thinking a 6 week course sounds more like an intro to plumbing. Of course theres no law to say you need plumbing quals to work, but a better option would be a tech cert level2 then3 night classes. i believe my local college does evening classes still to allow you to do this over 2 years. still not an nvq but a start at some of the knowledge required and grants are probably available still.

So am i correct in saying a City & Guilds 6035 Level 2 Plumbing Diploma is the first step? OR am i totally wrong? this all seems so confusing.

I'm thinking a 6 week course sounds more like an intro to plumbing. Of course theres no law to say you need plumbing quals to work, but a better option would be a tech cert level2 then3 night classes. i believe my local college does evening classes still to allow you to do this over 2 years. still not an nvq but a start at some of the knowledge required and grants are probably available still.

Yes a 6 week course was an introduction to plumbing, it was the first plumbing course I did. I'd say to start with that as the outlay is minimal. The 6035 is the new qual, that's all done in college. The 6189 is the new nvq diploma. You don't need any quals to work as a plumber, you just need to be competent.

So am i correct in saying a City & Guilds 6035 Level 2 Plumbing Diploma is the first step? OR am i totally wrong? this all seems so confusing.

Correct. 6035 is phasing out 6129. Ask city and guilds, no more new 6129 admissions

I can study the 6035 2 weekend on 2 weekends off over 24 weeks for £2999 incl VAT. does that seem expensive?

Can I ask where this it at? I paid £725 at college, 2.5 days a week for a school year.

I can study the 6035 2 weekend on 2 weekends off over 24 weeks for £2999 incl VAT. does that seem expensive?

yes as an adult evening classes or day release can be done under a grant scheme if you earning less than £15k and you pay for exams and about £100 or so. Its how I trained, takes a bit longer but look at the money left to buy your tools

yes as an adult evening classes or day release can be done under a grant scheme if you earning less than £15k and you pay for exams and about £100 or so. Its how I trained, takes a bit longer but look at the money left to buy your tools

Good advice

As my current role i am the direct contact at my work for us to do work for our clients.

So if i wanted to pay for a fast track course what no. would it be?

Thanks

that my friend is a legal minefield. my friend in leeds is being stiffed by his previous employer for poaching customers.....he hasn't but the court injunction prevents him from trading while investigations are pending....last estimate about 18 months before a trial date and he cant trade....

But i work 50 hours a week with 30 minutes break a day and get treated like dog ****.

:-/ i basically cant work for anyone else!

But i work 50 hours a week with 30 minutes break a day and get treated like dog ****.

You'll prob end up working longer hours than that plumbing. What's a break?

Mate I used to work every hour god sent me in our family business, I used to be stuck in a whole in the ground for hours on ends. Somedays I wish I was back there! Whatever you do, good luck. Able skills have some good reviews.

It's a good qual, you'll enjoy it. If you wanna do it then do it. Will give you a foot in the door. Didn't mean to sound negative. Genuinely wish you the best of luck.

if your earning £25k I'd stay as breaking out alone your not going to approach that as a net income for a long while, despite nicking your employers customer base.

Before you separate with your money go to google maps and type in 'plumber' in your area to see how much competition you'll be against. I did it recently and my screen looked like a massive Petri dish of bacteria. And that's just those who registered with google. It's not impossible to go self-employed but it is hard out there. Just be informed. And good luck.

if your earning £25k I'd stay as breaking out alone your not going to approach that as a net income for a long while, despite nicking your employers customer base.

The way work is looking is that someone will be made redundant soon and i was the last one in the door. I need to plan for the future now. Anyone have a heads up on a training center in Berkshire?

...and I would check your current terms and conditions of employment. Competing against them in the same industry, using their client base etc is a serious conflict of interest. I am sure they would have that covered and given you have family to look after the last thing I assume you need is early dismissal once word gets out!

Considering the training as others have suggested local college is your best bet in my opinion.

...and I would check your current terms and conditions of employment. Competing against them in the same industry, using their client base etc is a serious conflict of interest. I am sure they would have that covered and given you have family to look after the last thing I assume you need is early dismissal once word gets out!

Considering the training as others have suggested local college is your best bet in my opinion.

No No, it isnt stealing customers. The company i work for manages their water mains not internal systems

You are not the first to have thought of doing that and won't be the last but you will quickly find out it will bite you on the rse.

No No, it isnt stealing customers. The company i work for manages their water mains not internal systems

That's fair enough. Thought it worth mentioning though as some contracts need notification of 2nd jobs to satisfy themselves. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumbing Courses in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock