Search the forum,

Discuss Plumbing course- Should I or Shouldnt I? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jonnyw

Hi im in a bit of a dilemma i have a appointment with the btsc tomorrow where im supposed to be parting with a good chunk of money, ive been reading a few threads regarding this training centre amongst others that this is not a good way to get into this trade, i have tried on several occasions to get a job as a plumbers mate or as an apprentice but never managed to :( have also read that plumbers arnt a shortage anymore and am worried that if i do decide on the course route there will be no jobs at the end of it. the reason im looking into the plumbing trade is for a decent job that pays well, im completely un-expericened in this area and could be intrested in another trade if this one is saturated with tradesmen, Any feedback will be good many thanks jon

make sure you read all links, blagger etc re btsc. I looked there, and like access2trade careers had more salesmen than trainers. That's a worry. Get sold a training course, don't get sold the dream!

Hi jonnyw
I have done the 6129 with OLCI and MY experience was a good one.I spent lots of time researching the providers and found this to be the best option for ME.That's not to say it's the best option for someone else.
If in the slightest doubt about ANY provider,hold off, they'll still take your money at a later date, if you choose to go with them.
Don't sign on the dotted line until 110% sure it's absolutely right for YOU
Good Luck

thanks for the response the thing im worried about more than anything is job security at the end of it after ive spent out that much money and taken the time off work to do the course im not gonna be left with a alot of options work wise is the trade still saturated the work or are they jus tryi to sell me it?

Hi jonnyw
I have only just started out on my own(would have liked to have been working alongside an experienced plumber),so I can't compare how the state of the trade is now, compared to previous (but looking at the posts on here from the experienced chaps it seems slow).
As I said,just started out on my own(July 1st) and I realise I don't have the contacts yet, but it's only the last 2 weeks that things have started to pick up for me.
I think a bit of it has to do with being in the right place at the right time as well.Thursday did a job and when driving around the corner bumped into my mates dad,had a chat and he was working in a house there putting a kitchen in and forgot his tape measure.I told him I had a tape in the back he could borrow and pop up to me later(he couldn't leave the house as people had gone out and he couldn't lock the place up).He asked me what I was doing so I told him just started out on my own plumbing and the next morning I was in the house with him doing the pipework etc.
The customer there is really happy with my work and attitude and wants me to come back to do more work.
So that was a bit of luck/chance

ask your course provider what your work situation might be when you have done the course,if he tells you there are 30 000 plumbing jobs available he is lieing.make shure of the qualifications you will have gained by end of course.most employers are looking for 4 years post training experience before they will even give you an interveiw.most veiw nvq level 2 as entry level into trade.

thanks for the replys :) supposed to have signed up for it today but got stuck in traffic and missed my appointment grrrr. i will be interrorgating them when i do manage to get there about the work situation and this btsc's claim of a guaranteed job be nice to here from time served plumbers too on any advice as too how to get to that first rung of the ladder or if any around the essex area need a tea boy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumbing course- Should I or Shouldnt I? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock