Search the forum,

Discuss Plumbing a static caravan! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AndyC

I'm looking to install a hot water/central heating system in a static caravan. I have a woodburner with back boiler and I want to heat primarily my hot water but also a small rad and towel rail. The main issue as I see it is height. Ideally I would need to contain the system within the caravan giving only 2 metres to play with.

So 2 simple questions, can I and if so how?

Hi The cylinder would need to be fortic type indirect or some thing similar Fitted as near too and above the boiler with min 28 mm F&R. As for rads you would need to disperse access heat but gravity circulation will not work unless rads are at ceiling height which is not really an option. Good Luck

I did something like this once when doing a self build, it was a wood burning back boiler, in a site hut serving a couple of radiators in a portacabin

Expansion tank was in the roof space of the site hut, pump was on the return to boiler, it worked quite well for a "lash up" for over winter use

My self if I was going to do a static caravan for permanent use, I would be inclined to go the continental way with a sealed system, for the heating side (does away with the expansion tank and pipework) BUT fit a safety valve like this [DLMURL="http://www.thermador.fr/www/product.asp?objectid=26704&objectkind=5"]produit[/DLMURL] so in the event of over heat the boiler will dump hot/boiling water to waste and cold water will fill the boiler water jacket, so avoiding a dangerous situation, I would fit a circulator on the flow with a pipe thermostat to control the circulator, which would be used for both the indirect cylinder coil, and heating

If you went the traditional UK way with expansion tank etc, I would fit a safety valve like this [DLMURL="http://www.thermador.fr/www/product.asp?objectid=26748&objectkind=5"]produit[/DLMURL]

My reasons for fitting a capillary type safety valve instead of a spring loaded safety valve with a rubber washer, is that I don't trust them to lift before dangerous pressures can build up in the boiler, and I have heard that the rubber washer can get stuck to the seating of the valve, and not lift when needed

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumbing a static caravan! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock