Search the forum,

Discuss Plumbers and electrics! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Reltub

Hi,

Getting confused and conflicting advice regarding what we can and can't do regarding electrics without the qualifications so wondered if you guys could help as i know you are all very usefull! I was under the impression we was allowed to connect to existing spurs etc as long as we aren't altering the ciruit, so wiring a combi in airing cupboard and using immersion spur is allowed? straight swap shower is allowed? then someone tells me you have to be part p, then someone says its changed again and you can! found this website: Part P Full Scope, Part P Defined Scope, Part P Full Scope Training Courses, Part P training (full scope)
it says minor works not notifiable (like the works ive mentioned) but does that mean you are allowed to do them or shall i book on the course lol.

Cheers

Glad we don't have that balls up here, we do work for an English company who said we'd have to be part P to wire a shower when we changed it for another electric one...

Its crazy and too confusing i just want clear guidance lol so i can make sure im doing everything by the book!

This document couldn't make it clearer. Bear in mind that the special location in a bathroom only extends up to 2.25m so in most cases you can actually install bathroom lighting (i.e. spotlights etc) without notifying the work.

So replacing an electric shower would be notifiable work as it's an addition/alteration (only exception being if it's an exact swap, i.e. Mira Jump 8.5KW for Mira Jump 8.5KW).
Adding a new radial circuit for a shower pump would be notifiable work but fitting a fused spur off an existing ring mains to power the pump would not be.
Fitting spotlights in a bathroom ceiling over 2.25m high would not be notifiable work (outside of special location) but fitting IP rated wall lights around a bath would be.
Fitting a new cooker to an existing isolator would not be notifiable work but installing a new cooker circuit would be.

Even non-notifiable work is meant to be inspected and tested to prove it is safe though and it would be tricky to do this properly without the relevant experience and a test meter!

In reality now so little work is notifiable I think that the competent person schemes are going to lose a fair chunk of business. I am looking into contacting my local building control officers now and asking how much they would charge me to direct notify given that I have my inspection and testing certificates. Apparently the charges have to be reasonable and proportionate to the amount of work they have to do to test contractor's work.

[DLMURL]http://www.niceic.com/Uploads/File8952.pdf[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Electrics are very simple really, if your swapping stuff doh worry about it. If your altering stuff then know what yam dewin.

A simple understanding if ohms law, basic circuits and protection and you can do most things. Cable sizing knowledge can be needed but most domestic sparks cable size once every 13 years. A bit like one a day heating engineers with gas pipe sizing lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumbers and electrics! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, I'm installing a concrete patio out back. By the wall under the kitchen sink I have an existing P-Trap gully for the grey water from the sink, dishwasher, washing machine etc. When I pour the concrete there won't be any chance to dig it up anymore. From my own research I get the...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock