Search the forum,

Discuss Plese confirm or deny this... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Any dripping ceramic disc tap can be fixed by replacing the valve as longs as customer is potentially prepared to have new handles too (if old ones don't fit back on) by fitting ones that come with handles if need be.

If the above is true... Can anyone recommend an online source for reasonably priced ceramic disc valves with handles (preferably with choice of styles) as my local grahams, plumbase, plumb center, williams, toolstation and screwfix don't stock 'em.

If above is false please advise otherwise.

Thanks

I try to find the proper insert for the specific tap, which will save farting about with handles as youl be aswell with a new tap if your going to that lengths, you can actually just buy the ceramic parts which can be changed out to save replacing whole insert, you can buy the discs along with the rubber end,
Tap Spares

If the customer has the info/spec/serial no etc etc I will try find some discs, otherwise I never get involved, its too much like hard work, its new ones.

I try to find the proper insert for the specific tap, which will save farting about with handles as youl be aswell with a new tap if your going to that lengths, you can actually just buy the ceramic parts which can be changed out to save replacing whole insert, you can buy the discs along with the rubber end,
Tap Spares

geeeeeeez!!!!!

i pay ÂŁ7 each for mine lol.

have you tried repairing them?, quite easy when like me you spend time studying why they drip.
otherwise i go to toolstation or skunkfix, buy some cheap taps whip the head off and use them..

I just keep a selection or ceramic inserts in the van, my merchant holds several types, he is a good lad.

I am terrible for this. I have to admit to always replacing taps as A - there's more profit in it and B it's less hassle, oh and C we offer a 2 year warranty as our USP and I can't do that on a repair. Not the right attitude I know but I am straight up with our customers in that we don't do any repairs.

I also started to keep a few different ceramic works in a divided box & that means I sort many, - probably most immediately.
Trouble is some taps only require a single works & I end up with works all mixed up.
The final sealing washer - sometimes white, or blue or red, can be the cause of dripping works because it loses it's tension or some of the white washers perish a bit.

I remain confused. Somebody start a course and enroll me on it.

Good idea about buying cheap taps and whipping heads off. Must b ÂŁ15 squids for a contract lever basin set and that would.....presumably......fit anything?

Not really.
On somd taps wo t shut off with the guts from others in them.
Its the height thats an issue as the jumper wont reach the swat with the washer to close it off.
Thats why the reviver kits have extension adaptors

Are those service kits universal to all ceramic disc valves? Easy to replace?

Quality site. Rip off price but what do you expect from a deliberate niche... Like toilet spares.co.uk. Extortionate, but often invaluable.

Hi don't use the site much . That's why I wrote here's an example . It's just a guide for you to let you know what's available.

What I do is take the faulty insert out . Take a pic n check how many splines. Then I go onto lunns or a site similar to find the part that I'm looking for . Once I find the one needed and the exact name il then search for a cheaper site. It usually works out at around 15mins of your time surfing ,

I've had issues finding ones that work.

As already said, if custard knows make model etc. You can order them but so many variables, over 1200 I was told!

I also started to keep a few different ceramic works in a divided box & that means I sort many, - probably most immediately.
Trouble is some taps only require a single works & I end up with works all mixed up.
The final sealing washer - sometimes white, or blue or red, can be the cause of dripping works because it loses it's tension or some of the white washers perish a bit.

traitor!!

What I do is take the faulty insert out . Take a pic n check how many splines. Then I go onto lunns or a site similar to find the part that I'm looking for . Once I find the one needed and the exact name il then search for a cheaper site. It usually works out at around 15mins of your time surfing ,

The splines is the key.

Every time I rip out a bathroom out or plumb a new kitchen in I always strip the inserts out of taps clean them up, bit of silicone grease and rewasher if traditional .I now have a good selection of all types of tap inserts to hand so most repairs can be carried out first visit..brum

Every time I rip out a bathroom out or plumb a new kitchen in I always strip the inserts out of taps clean them up, bit of silicone grease and rewasher if traditional .I now have a good selection of all types of tap inserts to hand so most repairs can be carried out first visit..brum

Your almost a true scot. When you start removing screws and boxing them and the tile spacers you shall be a Yorkshire man! Well done bet your van has 500kg of brass in it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plese confirm or deny this... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock