Discuss PLEASE HELP...most important day of my career! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kingm1988

Hi all. As the title suggests, I am in need of some advice! Tomorrow I will be spending half a day with a plumber which may result in him taking me on as a plumbers mate. This is a really big moment for me and will be the first time I will be spending time with a plumber.

I'm just looking for any pointers that you guys can give me. Whether you are a plumber with experience in taking on mates/apprentices or likewise if you have been taken on as a mate/apprentice. Any advice hugely appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
im not a plumber but one of my friends was on a apprentership and now is fully qualifyed etc,so i carnt give you many tips but first thing is dont panic,they want you to be in control so if something goes wrong just take your time.quality over quantity!.Allso be polite to anyone you meet.kinda basic but i thought id refresh your memory incase your over thinking :p

just be honest

if your not sure ask

it will look twice as bad if you do something wrong when you werent sure but didnt check

keep stum, listen and make as many cuppas as he wants and youll go far

thats what i did

Always keep busy.............tidy workplace/van/toolbox/fittings box carry his tool box and keep asking if there is anything you want "me" to do ....

You could wait outside your house when he arrives to pick you up.. show`s your keen..

Plenty of chat is not a bad thing in this game..

Communicate with him find out what he likes then bullsh*t about it ..lol, OJ , Make him brews, Tidy up as he goes along, Be extra polite to customers, compliment his work, Ask his advice on your work, Help him put tools away in van !

"Communicate with him find out what he likes then bullsh*t about it"

Quality..

i used to do that with a deputy down the pit, he would go on for hours about his car and forget about the time, 2 hrs later we would get up and do some work..:D

When you shake his hand in the morning. Remind him of your name and tell him your nervous, just to break the ice. Good Luck

Guys I am forever grateful for ALL the advice given. No doubt I will have reached the 'over thinking' stage by tonight, but reading these back is quite reassuring.

Will let you guys know tomorrow how it goes!

Good luck, mate. hope it all goes well. And when it does, don't worry too much about money just keep learning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to PLEASE HELP...most important day of my career! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock