Search the forum,

Discuss Plastic to metal fitting in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

I'm installing a water filter which has plastic inlet and outlet fittings like this...

Screenshot 2021-11-23 233556.png

The suggested way is to go straight to flexible pipe with fibre washer and a 90 degree bend...
Screenshot 2021-11-23 233703.png

...but the pipes supplied have the wrong size at the far end.

I have some other flexible pipes I want to use but they are "straight ended" and I need to start with a 90 degree bend.

So my plan was to use a 90 deg brass fitting before switching to my flexible pipe.
Here is the brass fiting...

Screenshot 2021-11-23 233826.png

I found that sealing plastic into metal isn't so easy. I found out the hard way that PTFE tape doesn't work, and actually damaged the thread on one of the plastic fittings.

The best I could thnk of was to try dry connection just a little tight. But I've heard tha temperature variations can cause such joints to leak.

Are there any suggestions of how to get a good thread seal between a 1" plastic male and a 1" brass female fitting?

For a start you'd need a parallel female fitting and not, as I suspect you have, a tapered one. And trying to seal plastic on the threads is never going to be easy anyway. Those filter bits are designed to go into what is called a tap connector, and not into a female iron. So the seal is formed on the end, rather than on the thread itself, with a washer as you have described, and as per your angled flexis. So I suspect that brass thing is best kept as a paperweight for now.

But I'm concerned about the water filter itself. Is it WRAS approved? Those connections look like the sort of thing you'd use on a garden hose and may not even be tested to be safe for use with drinking water. Can you tell us more about the filter please? Sadly there are many companies (including Toolstation, to name one) that will happily sell you things that are both (essentially) illegal to connect to the mains, and that you shouldn't be drinking from anyway.

Hi, thanks for you comments.
No, the female thread is not tapered. It's G25/1" parallel.
But as you say, and as I realise now, making a seal on the plastic threads is not practical - I'll see what I can sort out with the 90 degree flexi pipe instead.

I see the resemblance to garden hose fittings, but these are much larger fittings, 1" going up to even larger at the head of the filter.

Not the best picture, but this sjows the filter with my original plan (loosly connected)....
Screenshot_20211124-181959.png

I don't think the tentacles of w.r.a.s have reached Sweden yet!

My guess is you’ve cross threaded it when the ptfe had been on

Try doing 5-6 wraps of ptfe

I wouldn’t rough them uptoo much just drag a file over them so the ptfe grips

I think it's likely you want to use a 3/4" BSP tap connector, i.e. the seal is formed by a fibre washer. 3/4" BSP has a 26.44 mm (1.041") outer diameter and 14 threads per inch. Commonly used on washing machine inlets and some (relatively recent) outside taps.

Reply to Plastic to metal fitting in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock