Discuss Pipework puzzle in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
At a job to repipe a part 1 pipe system which has been teed from I think from pipework under boiler under floor to feed a flow/return section of the house.

My understanding of a 1-pipe system is that the pipework flowed in series.. from the first rad to the last and then returned to the boiler.

But I'm finding tees mid flow of 1 pipe pipework..

I'm assuming over the years the system has just been added to/modified and now it's just all over the place as some rads don't heat at all.

So I'm thinking it will be easier to just rip out all existing pipework and start again??

The rads are not in series ( although some rubbish DIY jobs have been done that way through lack of understanding) The pipe runs from the boiler around the circuit and back in a big loop. This loop in the latter versions was pumped. The rads are fed both ends from that loop and work by gravity ( not pumped)

Does this help ?

You need to be careful with your pipe work or you will upset it !

Rip our start again

And good old diverter tees

The rads are not in series ( although some rubbish DIY jobs have been done that way through lack of understanding) The pipe runs from the boiler around the circuit and back in a big loop. This loop in the latter versions was pumped. The rads are fed both ends from that loop and work by gravity ( not pumped)

Does this help ?

You need to be careful with your pipe work or you will upset it !

It's a pumped system with a combi boiler.. the main loop has been teed from to create a 2 pipe flow/return to half of the house.

When I say series, I mean the main circuit goes to each rad in turn, the rads fed from this main loop which starts at boiler flow and loops round to boiler return.

So I think what you're saying is, the main circuit will go from boiler flow and loop back to boiler return (pumped system) and rads are branched from this single main circuit at each end of rad, so rads aren't necessarily in series apart from being connected to 1 main single circuit?

This house is a mess! I need to find where they've teed in

Yes that sounds like you're understanding it !

Like Shaun says, rip it out and start again if poss. You're going to end up with an imbalanced system where half works well and the other half is bobbins.

I would explain this to the customer and ensure that they are not going to come back at you with
" IT USED TO WORK OK BEFORE YOU ALTERED IT"

Last edited:
Finally found out what's going on.. so they've run half the house in 2 pipe direct from boiler and teed off from their flow/return to the beginning and end of 1 pipe loop..

I'm capping from their tee and ripping out the 1 pipe and extending the flow/return to the existing 1 pipe rads with new valves.. downstairs is a pig but upstairs is easy days.. let's see what tomorrow brings

Finally found out what's going on.. so they've run half the house in 2 pipe direct from boiler and teed off from their flow/return to the beginning and end of 1 pipe loop..

I'm capping from their tee and ripping out the 1 pipe and extending the flow/return to the existing 1 pipe rads with new valves.. downstairs is a pig but upstairs is easy days.. let's see what tomorrow brings

You could just run one pipe, Leave one end connected to rad as it is and connect the other branch to your new pipe. Cap off the second branch from the existing one pipe circuit if that makes any sense ?

You could just run one pipe, Leave one end connected to rad as it is and connect the other branch to your new pipe. Cap off the second branch from the existing one pipe circuit if that makes any sense ?

But cap off the one that you need to run

Eg if one pipe system is off the flow cap all the returns etc

And run a new pipe to the returns

I thought of that but if I'm running 1 new pipe I might as well run 2 - last thing I need it to fill it up and find out there's a blockage in one of the branches to a rad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pipework puzzle in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock