Discuss Pipework in ceilings & building regulations UK in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

Looking for some assistance please.

We're having some renovation work done on our house (1970s ex-council). I have just been contacted by out contractor to say they are concerned that the water pipes are plastic rather than copper and that they run through the ceilings (i.e. above kitchen, bedrooms etc). They have advised me this is "not standard and inline with building regulations".

The ceilings are down right now and the pipes are accessible so they are suggesting they are redirected to avoid issues in future..

Does this sound like a reasonable concern?

Plastic as in what type rigid or like normal plastic pushfit etc

You can run them in floors and ceilings no issue

Can the Contractor quote the Building Reg that applies to these pipes and the issue,
And can they outline their proposed re routing / reconfiguring of theses pipes

Plastic as in what type rigid or like normal plastic pushfit etc

You can run them in floors and ceilings no issue
They sent me an image if you would be so kind as to take a look.

Attachments

• IMG-20230322-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20230322-WA0011.jpg
    591.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG-20230322-WA0012.jpg
    IMG-20230322-WA0012.jpg
    364.1 KB · Views: 34
All new build are pushfit so hmmm

I agree my personal opinion of pushfit isn’t the best but there’s 1000s of joints under the floor

If any of them look wrong best to change but they all look like speedfit except for the toilet one I’m guessing

There like there is nothing wrong with that pipe work other than it looking like it was done DIY.

You pays your money, and you takes your choice. Either you leave it and think it will be fine or you pay to have it re-done and get some peace of mind and warranty for the works completed

Speedfit on copper looks naff, but isn't against the manufacturer's instructions. And this is a branded product.

Failures aren't unknown, but neither are failures on copper tube. Ideally redo the lot in low-carbon steel. Joking aside, it's a bit riskier than copper, but nowt wrong with it. Though if that were mine, I would want to see what is going on with the fitting half inside the wood in the second picture and be reassured that the wood couldn't push a release collet somehow.

If I say you have the plumbing equivalent of a Ford Mondeo, not a Jaguar S type, I hope you get my point. And, as others have said, many new-builds are purely pushfit.

Reply to Pipework in ceilings & building regulations UK in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock