Search the forum,

Discuss Particular type of toilet syphon in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sparkyrose

Hi all,

I am very much in the DIY category here. I have a toilet in the house where the cistern was running abit so we had a guy come out and fit a new syphon. He put in a fairly standard one but when it now flushes, instead of a good movement of water the bowl gradually fills up and then gradually empties. The guy said he thought the type of toilet meant that there was a special type of syphon that would essentially go down the back part of the bowl and "pull" the water out using suction of some kind. Hopefully that makes sense.

Anyway, the guy said he would get a replacement part but has been useless and impossible to get back, so I have decided to do it myself. I'm handy enough but I don't know the name of the type of part I need. This is where I am turning to you guys!

The guy who was here said it was kind of rare/old style of toilet. If I know what I am looking for I think I can find the part I need and fit it. Does anyone have an idea? I have attached a couple of pics of the toilet in case they are helpful.

Any assistance greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_2284.jpg
    IMG_2284.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2285.jpg
    IMG_2285.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 34
Symphonic bomb, sold in Toolstation but wait. Excuse spelling errors, bit wasted on doing this on phone

Think you need the syphonic bomb fitting now I'm not 100% as I've not come across one before but others should confirm this

Thanks to all for the helpful replies. I will investigate and if I have trouble fitting it (entirely possible) I may be back for further advice!

Best

Mark

They are famous for being tricky but there are good few guys on here who seem to have got the knack.

That's an Armitage toilet I think and therefore straight forward enough.
You can actually buy an Armitage Airex (bomb) and if you do, then use an Armitage syphon as they fit each other.
The Airex will have a plastic inner stem where a domed rubber washer (normally about 40mm wide) fits on to stem. Make sure you fit the FLAT part of the washer going downwards and just push in on to stem a few mm and gently lower the cistern down and the washer will push to its correct place.
Best toilet made, that particular one!

Last edited:
just pull it out and put a new toilet in

Noooooo! Those older Armitage syphonic toilets are the Rolls Royce of toilets! :smile:
Nothing will compare to them.
Who really wants a modern push button, badly designed, leak down the pan loo anyhow?

did one last year in nice block of apartments. So silent, original wc in the
1960's built flat, chosen in consideration of neighbours below, sharp
contrast to todays laminate flooring/ telly/ shouting at 3am.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Particular type of toilet syphon in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Does anyone know where I can get one of these? Toilet is leaking into the bowl. This one pushes in with a half turn but I can't find one anywhere.
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper end of DIY and I've a couple of house renovations under my belt (my own homes) I am retired but do volunteer handyman jobs for the elderly. Not...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock