Discuss Part replace soil stack in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

How much work is it to part replace cast iron soil stack. I need to add existing toilet upstairs so need to add a branch in to external stack which is cast iron. As far as I am aware I need to use two adapters top and bottom to convert from cast to plastic pipe. Then an adaptor for connection new toilet. Is this possible for DIY or would I need a plumber. If so any idea of rough cost

plumber

It would be easier to pull the lot down and replace it all for plastic.

In light of the possible consequences of even getting it a tiny bit wrong (e.g. have a bit of cast drop into the gully or worse) I agree wholeheartedly with Craig in that the very best solution is to replace wholesale. It will look better, be safer, perform better and last longer. ;)

Would need more info, some pics would help so we can assess access etc, and are you sure it's cast iron and not asbestos cement? The two can look similar.

Anyone know rough costs for plumber to do this. Is this hundreds or more like 1 thousand

Materials are fairly cheap, but I guess it would be at least a days work for 2 men, with careful removal of the old stack and installing new stack. It would also be best to have soil pipe to toilets through wall also completely new, if possible.
Sometimes it might require scaffolding to do the job safely

Think I would replace in plastic from just above the first branch . Kop

+1 for just replacing from the branch.
Save the bother.

The pipe has no offset at roof, so not the worst cast iron stack to remove for anyone experienced

Reply to Part replace soil stack in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back