Discuss Part p in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tommy1712

I think it's time for me to get a part p. I am trying to move my business in the direction of heating engineering and certified electrical installations.
whats my options regarding part p courses? Is it still a cheeky 2 day course to be a domestic installer or has that changed?
my gas is the ultimate goal but the sparks will go hand in hand with the gas

like putting in a bath and tiling

In my world there are different trades for a very good reason!
I use them all from ground workers to roofers,floor screeners,steel fixers,and sparkies too .
I learnt a very long time ago that yes some guys can do several trades but they are normally big enough to admit when something is beyond them.
There are others who want every job going,they normally do a second rate job on all of them.

:D i see you met marvo and they labeled you as a diy rpm :(

Which I thought was fair enough Shaun as 1) being a newbie there and 2) no electrical qualifications, must say a mod was good enough to stand up and speak on my behalf when a little flak came my way.

Which I thought was fair enough Shaun as 1) being a newbie there and 2) no electrical qualifications, must say a mod was good enough to stand up and speak on my behalf when a little flak came my way.

there a good set of lads esp paul m (mod) bright blue name but as with anything you have to take the rough with the smooth you should of seen the flack i took when i joined :D but to be fair bet 1/3 couldnt wire up a 2/3port plan ;)

So do you reckon I was just unlucky with the switched fused spur with a dodgy rocker switch?

yes and the motor was on its last legs me thinks (coil windings had a bit of corrosion on it and just went, only takes one bad connection)

In my world there are different trades for a very good reason!
I use them all from ground workers to roofers,floor screeners,steel fixers,and sparkies too .
I learnt a very long time ago that yes some guys can do several trades but they are normally big enough to admit when something is beyond them.
There are others who want every job going,they normally do a second rate job on all of them.

Agree to an extent but there is inevitably some overlap between trades. You wouldn't call in a chippie every time you needed to notch a joist. You'd just learn the requirements for safe / permissible notching.

Likewise, as plumbers / heating installers we should be able to install a shower or heating controls , or to move a fused spur without calling in a spark.

However, as electrics are notifiable, I see the need for things like the "defined scope part P" which allows you to self-certify minor works without being fully 17th Ed. qualified. As long as people don't think that makes them a sparkie, and as you say, are big enough to know the limit of their competence, it's better to have these training schemes than for people to just bodge it.

Agree with above, a knowledge of allied trades is essential when these trades are not themselves on site. Not just to do the work of others, but to recognise when the work of others needs upgrading. Electric showers being one example.

Agree to an extent but there is inevitably some overlap between trades. You wouldn't call in a chippie every time you needed to notch a joist. You'd just learn the requirements for safe / permissible notching.

Likewise, as plumbers / heating installers we should be able to install a shower or heating controls , or to move a fused spur without calling in a spark.

However, as electrics are notifiable, I see the need for things like the "defined scope part P" which allows you to self-certify minor works without being fully 17th Ed. qualified. As long as people don't think that makes them a sparkie, and as you say, are big enough to know the limit of their competence, it's better to have these training schemes than for people to just bodge it.

EXACTLY WHAT I BEEN SAYING
It's getting on my ti's people banging on about only doing one trade, and bleating on about regulations.
A heating engineer is a plumber but controls are wired. So you need to be able to do both. A shower pump a electric shower there is no need for 2 trades it not rocket science........ You would think
I am a plumber and have no interest in being a sparkie just want to be able to do my job!

EXACTLY WHAT I BEEN SAYING
It's getting on my ti's people banging on about only doing one trade, and bleating on about regulations.
A heating engineer is a plumber but controls are wired. So you need to be able to do both. A shower pump a electric shower there is no need for 2 trades it not rocket science........ You would think
I am a plumber and have no interest in being a sparkie just want to be able to do my job!

and this is exactly what is reflected in the apprentice training at level 3 & why with the advent of ‘Trailblazer’ there is only plumbing to this level which will be funded.

Just to correct you on one thing tommy a heating engineer is most certainly NOT a Plumber!!

I would hope the heating engineer is a reasonably competent plumber, but I think the point being made is that being a competent plumber does not make you a reasonably competent heating engineer.

I mean absolutely no disrespect for water plumbers but Electrics and doing Gas Safe approved work is far more complicated and required a lot more knowledge.

I am qualified as a gas safe registered engineer and as an electrician but I was a water plumber for many years first so I can say this with confidence.

Straight plumbing to a good standard is not a simple job but it is nothing like safe or electrics work.

You just seem to think that electrical work is about putting a bit of cable from a to b, you are seriously mistaken, that's why we all train for years in our chosen trades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Part p in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock