Search the forum,

Discuss Paper gaskets in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

P J F PLUMBING

Hi guys I've got a very old gas cooker to service I say old. It's from 1935. Yes old as !!!! Took one knob off to re grease a paper kind of gasket fell to bits. What can I use ?? Paste ?? Instant gasket ?? Really stuck really don't no ???

I have no idea. Which isn't very helpful I know. You could always go on appliances direct and order a cooker not originally designed for town gas.

image.jpg

When I was an apprentice, we used to do maintanence on a large stately home. The bloke I serveved my time with could make anything. We used to make paper gaskets from very thin graphite sheet. Either by cutting it out with a scalpel or scissors. Or by holding the paper against the surface to be sealed and gently hammering against the edges with a ball ended hammer. Then a smear of graphite paste.

Urnpin

They sure don't make 'em like they used to.....lol
A guy I knew ( gas fitter) made one for his mother In law's cooker not unlike the smaller one in your post out of brown paper used to send parcel's through the post and sealed it with a smear
of boss white held up under test and still in use today.....mind you there are many instant gasket sealant's around today that might be more appropriate... regards Turnpin:smile5:

I have no idea how to help, but that things cleaner than my brand new cooker :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Paper gaskets in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi guys....we have an old Astracast sink top....I think its a composite sink....has a big single bowl. My wife thinks it looks scruffy....looks...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock