Discuss Pan to soil pipe connection in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Boy

Two or three years ago, I fitted a new siphon to the wall mounted toilet cistern in my bathroom. It involved replacing the cistern-to-pan seal. At the same time, I replaced the connector from the back of the pan to the soil pipe. I used a right angle connector with a rubber seal at the pan end. There was no seal at the soil pipe end, which is level with the top of the floorboards. The diameter of the soil pipe is about half an inch more than the connector pipe, leaving about ¼” space all round. The original connector was a similar loose fit at that end.

Today I found water dripping into the room below and discovered that, when the toilet is flushed, some of the water was splashing up out of the soil pipe. My first thought was that there must be a blockage, particularly as we often hear gurgling sounds from the toilet area when the bath is emptied. However, the splashing has stopped now that I’ve repositioned the connector at the soil pipe end, so that there is a gap all the way round. I’m assuming that it must have been accidently moved.

I have 2 questions:
Should there be a complete seal where the connector goes into the soil pipe?
If that is the case, would the lack of one explain the gurgling sounds?

Should there be a complete seal where the connector goes into the soil pipe?
Yes. Buy a new pan connector.
If that is the case, would the lack of one explain the gurgling sounds?
No that would actually help it by letting air in. Lack of a proper vent or a blockage does that one.

yes it should have a seal. usually a rubber finned type that create an air tight seal to the soil pipe! I'm supprised you not had any smells coming back you from the drains, if you go to your local merchants and ask for a bent pan connector you'll should see what your missing, Mcalpine are all white with two rubber finns between, other make have a very destintive black rubber finned washer on the end.

Hope this helps!!

Thanks, both of you for your rapid replies.

Back to the merchants tomorrow! At the time I was quite pleased with what I did, because my connection was better than the one I replaced.

I replaced a connector which either wasn't very good or broke when I moved the pan. I took it to a merchant and asked for a replacement. What I was given didn't have a rubber seal on it.

I can't simply pull it backwards and up to remove it, because there's a copper pipe in the way. Is there any reason why I shouldn't seal it with silicone?

Last edited by a moderator:
the silicone will act as lubrication before it sets and the connector will probably come off the toilet

I should think some of you will be pleased to know that I finally got a plumber in to fix it.

He got the existing connector out fairly easily, but replacing it wasn’t so simple. He wanted to move the pan and cistern together away from the wall (I didn’t know you can do that), but the screws, into the wall, would not shift. Instead he loosened the doughnut connection, so that he could pull the pan away slightly and tilt it, again something I didn’t realise was possible without a spillage from the cistern.

I could have done it myself, if I’d known a little more, but it would have taken me hours. It was a pleasure to watch him working. Knowing how much force you can apply in these situations can only come from experience.

I don’t have a problem about paying tradesmen, but it’s not easy to find ones I trust, who charge reasonable rates and show up when they say they will (or let you know when they can’t). This one scored on all three counts and was good to talk to as well.

Thanks again for all of the replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pan to soil pipe connection in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock