Search the forum,

Discuss Paint on Silicant Sealant for Shower Enclosures in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JungleJme

Hi, i've got a minor leak somewhere in my shower - it's a pain in the backside but i can't seem to find the offending bit of grout...

i've been online and found products such as Crommelin Water Based sealer and a similar product called Shower Plug - you simply "paint" a few coats over your existing tile joints and it creates a waterproof seal...

but they are only available in Australia and we don't seem to have equivalent products over here....can someone advise if there is a UK equivalent?

Thanks,
J

is the enclosure sealed on the inside, outside or both?

Shower is fully enclosed in the corner of the room with a sliding door into the bathroom - when you say sealed are you just referring to silicon? I've siliconed every bit of gap i can see, inside and out...

Its more likely a silicon seal or the waste than a grout joint. I would track down the cause before painting the walls with an expensive product that will probably look bad and not do the job. (If it is a silicon seal - which is 9/10 times the problem).

it is fully enclosed, and i've sealed every crevice, inside and out that i can see - i've run water over the tiles and that's when it seems to come through, i can see some of the grout has very, very fine hairline fractures so think this may be the problem. I've tried siliconing over the top of the grout in areas with varying degrees of success...

but really would like to give this product a try beofre regrouting as it looks really simple to apply,

Most shower enclosures shouldn't be sealed inside and out. It is normal to leave the bottom sealed on the outside only so that any water that gets into the channelling comes back into the tray and not out.

Makes a right mess if you silicon inside and out. Although depends on the shower manufacturers instructions. Find the instructions for your specific enclosure and follow them.

Then re-grout the tiling, checking at the same time that the wall behind isn't shot. ( you will hear a different sound when you tap the tiles)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Paint on Silicant Sealant for Shower Enclosures in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock