Search the forum,

Discuss paint on pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybob150811

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
how do you get paint off pipes I use grip teeth if the paints thick and then grit strips but I saw a guy use his blow torch and one of these rothenberger round external cleaners and he checked round the back with a mirror so I thought there more than on way to do this I was just interest if anyone has a different way

With grips and maybe blow torch if its stubborn. Then cleaning strip and use a mirror to check. Pretty much as you do really. If you use a blow torch let it cool a little before using the cleaning strip.

Flux it leave it for a few minutes. Flux it again blow lamp till it glows wire wool job done

I don't bother I just solder my soeedfit straight on . If it's gloss heat , grips , wool or abrasives , emry cloth. If emulsion wool

If I see paint on pipes I tell cust once job has started its an extra and changes the job to complete replumb of heating and domestic circs including new soil stack as well.

I use a stanley blade. Square it off and scrape it off to allow a fitting Etc it just chips away. Then I use a webbed abrasive strip to take remainder of paint off.

Blowtorch till paint bubbles then Stanley blade. Abrasive strip to get the last little bits off.

Blowtorch on maximum and blast it, also takes the wallpaper, skirting, plaster and roof off but who cares as long as the pipe is clean.

All metal rasp(toolstation) then cleaning strips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to paint on pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I’m at a loss with this one. We renovated a run down house and have lived in it now for about 16 months. We had a new Greenstar 8000 Style 35 installed. Just before Christmas - about 12 months after install - we came home to a funny smell like paint, shoe polish etc - a very chemical smell...
Replies
Views
I have seen people speaking of this and others not understanding. I have a leak in my pipe coming from the main. Attaching a new 1/2" coupling to the 1/2" pipe (blue pipe) is a problem as the coupling is larger than the pipe although both are 1/2". Most people do not realize that there are...
Replies
Views
Hi, Short version: I have about 4" of pipe sticking out of a concrete floor in a cupboard. It makes a 45-degree bend as it exists (bent, not with elbows), the last cm before the open end is pretty much straight, but as a result of the bend it is not perfectly round. I mean it is pretty much...
Replies
Views
Hello guys, an easy one: I recently had to drill through two outside walls to run 15mm pipes for a shower and sink. The holes are neat enough but need to be closed off to prevent draughts. Can I use expanding foam to block them? I wouldn't do this with central heating pipes, but the shower and...
Replies
Views
I'm retiling my bathroom, and so everything in this photo minus the copper pipes must be removed. Anyone familiar with these screw fittings that go over the pipes? They have filed down areas to get an adjustable spanner in there to turn them, but when I grip the copper pipe and the screw...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock