Search the forum,

Discuss opening for a 900mm shower tray in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
What should the opening be for a 900mm shower tray. Looking at a drawing and there is a 900mm opening ( shower tray surrounded by 3 walls). Will this not be a bit tight for a 900mm tray. Is on a new build premises.

Top of tray will generally have a very slightly smaller length than stated size of tray because most trays are tapering.
In other words, a 900mm tray will likely be perhaps 890/895 mm at top, but 900 at base approx. Although trays vary.
So the finished opening (finished Plaster or boarding) for a 900 tray should be okay at 900mm, but would be perfect a few mm less.
You want the top of the tray obviously to be fairly tight to the finished wall surface usually.
I know of one of the big sheds bathroom salesgirl told a friend of mine that their shower tray couldn't fit as the architects plan showed space for tray was a few mm less! :smile:

Last edited:
Tight as you can is best. Is it plasterboard its going against or solid plastered wall?

That's why a decent plan should specify the exact space for tray.
I am sure the builders will be highly accurate with marking out and building the walls and make the opening the 5mm tighter. If you are lucky. :grin:

Somebody has screwed it up then and forgottent to allow for the boards. Could end up having trouble getting the door in.

900 plus 12.5 for each side for the boards and then any extra if its getting skimmed.

If tray has upstand then tiles must fit inside, consideration of tile thickness necessary otherwise opening too small for door. Normally would allow 920mm between studwork.

Wouldnt you have tiles on top of the tray making up for any gaps anyway?

Wouldnt you have tiles on top of the tray making up for any gaps anyway?

You really don't want any gap. You are better the tray is tight to wall and the full thickness of the tiles are onto the tray, if possible.

You really don't want any gap. You are better the tray is tight to wall and the full thickness of the tiles are onto the tray, if possible.

can you cut the plasterboard around for the tray to fit?

can you cut the plasterboard around for the tray to fit?

Yes you can, but that will mean the final fit of tray is less wide and you need to make sure the shower doors will still fit and not be too big even in shortest adjustment. A lot of doors will not adjust down enough and one tip to check is if the walls are plumb first! If a wall is leaning inwards at top, it will mean you go by that as that is the tightest place for shower door.
You won't be able to use a tray upstand if sinking tray into wall though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to opening for a 900mm shower tray in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The left rear floor corner is highest (the shower pan touches/sits on the floor), sloping down diagonally to the front right corner (lowest). The front right corner shim is 5/8", the left front corner is 3/8" shimmed, with shorter shims under left middle and right rear corner. The pan perimeters...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hi they used to say as a last resort you could discharge the D2 pipework at high level and turn it back to the wall. Similar to a combi boiler. I have just looked back through the regs this seems to have changed and it isn't mentioned now. It now mentions if at high level it should be discharged...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock