Search the forum,

Discuss one for the older guys glowworm spacesaver 50 mark 2 wall mounted open flue boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

buckley plumb

went to this boiler today it has a kitchen cupboard around it but has more than the req clearances 105mm at sides 600mm from top to ceiling 600mm from bottom of boiler to worktop .100mm from front to door . cupboard vented 200cm2 at top and 600cm2 at bottom. room vent 100cm2 .the issue I have is the flue does not rise 600mm to first bend - has twist joint ontop of boiler giving a small offset and an angle of not quite 45 so flue is NTCS.manual states compartment must be of 1/2hr fire rating but this one has more than the min clearances so would that still count . 2 NTCS on flue or ventilation make AR but compartment material would not count as a second NTCS on flue or vent would it.otherwise flue pulling good and no spillage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: one for the older guys glowworm spacesaver 50 mark 2 wall mounted open flue boile

Two NTCS'S on flue, so AR in my opinion.
I wouldn't have been too harsh on the angle of the first bend providing it wasn't far off of 45 degrees but the 600mm from the ddd is more important.

Re: one for the older guys glowworm spacesaver 50 mark 2 wall mounted open flue boile

Two NTCS'S on flue, so AR in my opinion.
I wouldn't have been too harsh on the angle of the first bend providing it wasn't far off of 45 degrees but the 600mm from the ddd is more important.
only one NTCS on the flue vents ok just compartment material and that's not ventilation or flue so I was thinking NTCS . tried to upload pics but cant

Two separate NTCS.

If it's been pulling the fumes away for 20 odd years without an issue, no signs of stress etc ... Whats the problem? NCS, IMHO :)

However if the kitchen's a new fit then it ramps up my 'potentially dangerous radar' :)

i'm with him......

I was taught 2 NTCS on flue or ventilation is AR not just any 2 NTCS
yes but you also need to use your judgement if its working safely ,not showing signs of distress and been in for 20 odd years gas safe would deem it acceptable to issue separate ncs and leave working

One for the "old boys" cheeky bugger! Kids these days.

the cupboard around it is new 2 years ago and the ventilation is adequate .

Kitchen refurb around a 35 year old boiler.
Doh!

From what I read into this is: the flue has an NCS on it but passes all the statutory tests. The compartment is not fire proofed, but the surfaces are more than 75mm from the appliance case, so that's satisfactory. Done a quick calc on the ventilation and that looks good too. No problem other than the usual, bend being to close to the top of the boiler but working safely. Happy days, record the NCS on the advisory form and go down the pub for a cool refreshing beer. Job done.

From what I read into this is: the flue has an NCS on it but passes all the statutory tests. The compartment is not fire proofed, but the surfaces are more than 75mm from the appliance case, so that's satisfactory. Done a quick calc on the ventilation and that looks good too. No problem other than the usual, bend being to close to the top of the boiler but working safely. Happy days, record the NCS on the advisory form and go down the pub for a cool refreshing beer. Job done.

thanks that was my thoughts but hate open flue boilers just wanted a second opinion.

Kitchen refurb around a 35 year old boiler.
Doh!

But anoyingly the norm! Either that or you can't get the case of because it's boxed in to tight.

sell them a co alarm, more profit on the invoice and you'll sleep better
win win for you

But anoyingly the norm! Either that or you can't get the case of because it's boxed in to tight.
Amazing, when people are prepared to spend huge amounts on a new kitchen because it looks swanky and impresses their friends, family and neighbours, but neglect the inefficient old boiler, which has provided all their comfortable room heat and hot water year after year and then whinge when it goes wrong about the cost and disruption to get them back online.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to one for the older guys glowworm spacesaver 50 mark 2 wall mounted open flue boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock