Discuss On yer bike to stop water-hammer. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

easyt

I had a problem when I installed a watering system 5 years ago. When the timer valve opened I got water hammer that could be heard through the house. If I turned down the tap supplying it I could cure it but this reduced the potential of the system.

I bought an inner-tube for a kiddies bike. Cut a length off with valve. Threaded through a 6 inch length of 3/4 pipe, tied ends and partially inflated. I then tied off again, cut to length and sealed the tube with inner-tube cement. I ended up with 4 inches of lightly inflated tube in a 6 inch 3/4 pipe. I fitted this to a tee with the garden watering system supply tap. Problem cured. Still OK 5 years later.

I'm sure that I could have bought something to use but couldn't find a supplier. Anyone know of one ?

Water hammer is a common problem with garden watering and sprinkling systems,as you know,there are anti hammer valve on the market,spring eated type or diaghram types like you have made

As they say if it works and an't broke, leave it,like your ingenuity,thats what plumbing used to be all about

I think to many people now do the job and have no idea how things work or reasoning behind what they are doing,they say 'whats it matter,it works'

Think in order to be a good plumber ,you have to know,in order to provide a better service to customers and satisfy their requirement

Nice piece of inginuity there :) As said above yes you can buy them try BES , mind you it will cost more than an innertube !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to On yer bike to stop water-hammer. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock