Search the forum,

Discuss Old Wok Range: does it need a gas interlock system? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MrWong

Hello All,

I have decided to write a post whether a old wok range cooker requires a gas interlock system? The wok range is well over 10 years old and in a very good condition. The gas engineer came over and inspected the wok and said it has failed due to no gas interlock system and fail safe device. I was told due to new regulations that the wok system needs to install these safety devices and was quoted at a ball park fugure of £1,500.00. In other hand, speaking to other people who had similar experience with me and I was told that if it was a old wok range then it does not require these safety devices. I am confused??? Any suggestions?:90:

Kind Regards

Wong

Yes it does.

There's a gas technical bulletin which I'm afraid you won't have access to that refers to this - TB140.

A gas detection system needs to be interlocked with your supply and extract fans. This would prevent the gas being turned on without them running.

And with the age of your appliance gas proving would need to be incorporated too. This tests the pipework and appliance downstream of the safety valve.

You've been advised correctly.

Pay him well Mr Wong, he's probably saved your life and your business.

Last edited by a moderator:
If he is talking about an interlock sytem then im guessing this is a commercial application.
With domestic cooking appliances if they are of a certain age then they may not need a flame safety device but im pretty sure thats out of the window with commercial catering. That could be where your friends confusion has come from.

Talk to your insurance company too, they will likely have something to say about not covering you if you don't comply or do not have an interlock in a comercial catering application

In the grand scheme of things that isn't a large price tag, it also removes human error which could leave your establishment as a hole in the ground, litterelly.

No brainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Old Wok Range: does it need a gas interlock system? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

So we are looking at a new vaillant ecofit pure 418 regular boiler but have a question about the gas pipe size requirements.. At the gas meter the pipe size is 15mm where it then runs under the kitchen floor before exiting at the the other side where the existing boiler is located (old baxi)...
Replies
Views
Hi. I have been on the phone to the Gas Safe Register, who have pointed me a bit in the right direction looking for certain information. I am in a situation where I have had a water pipe burst under a solid concrete and tile floor. The gas and water pipes were laid right next to each other in...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have 15 year old Cannon Caniston gas cooker and when I turn the tap for the biggest burner full on it burns as if it was only half on, this has happened over time. I have checked the flexible hose is not kinked and the gas at the main is fully on, the other burners seem to be ok. I cleaned...
Replies
Views
I am new gas safe and met hard situation when I did gas safety check on large property with 3 acre site. The property is old and large size, installed two 30KW heat only gas boiler to supply CH and DHW, range cooker and gas hob. I was be told the meter is installed at the entrance of the...
Replies
Views
Hello, I hope someone can give me some advice on replacing an old air source heat pump. We moved into a shared ownership house last year which has a Daiken air source heat pump fitted to provide heating and hot water. The unit was fitted when the house was built 12 years ago. It seems that the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock