Discuss OK for waste to run uphill a short distance? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
And can anyone advise whether this bit of pipework going to our towel radiator is ok? The fat pipes (22mm?) are the cental heating flow and return pipes, so it makes sense to come off these, of course. But the thing that caught my untrained eye is the fact he's used a T piece as opposed to a straight piece, so there's a capped off little orphaned section of pipe which is completely unnecessary.

IMG_0226.JPG

IMG_0227.JPG

IMG_0228.JPG

Replaced

And can anyone advise whether this bit of pipework going to our towel radiator is ok? The fat pipes (22mm?) are the cental heating flow and return pipes, so it makes sense to come off these, of course. But the thing that caught my untrained eye is the fact he's used a T piece as opposed to a straight piece, so there's a capped off little orphaned section of pipe which is completely unnecessary.

View attachment 31020

View attachment 31021

View attachment 31022

That's a mess best to re do it if you can

The scorched fittings:

The one on the right seems like a trace of smoke damage (never heard of a heat mat eh?) and is probably fine, but the one on the left looks like he's probably soldered right up close to it and probably overheated the internals via thermal conduction down the copper pipe.

The pipework for the towel radiator goes down before it goes up, so it shouldn't airlock, and it will probably work alright, but seems to be a mess of various branded fittings unsupported and installed under strain. I wouldn't entirely trust it.

I'm not expecially worried about that short bit of orphaned pipe.

I felt sorry for you at one stage - then I took it back.
Now I feel genuinely sorry for you - teetering on 'morbidly sorry'

Those fittings he soldered, he didn't even disconnect the plastic fittings.

Anything melted / scorched - just replace.
Also the mix match of fittings - replace.

I would be sending the plumber some of the photo's you have put on here and asked for more than a refund.

I would threaten him with small claims for the full cost of the rectifications that are needed due to his standard of work.
This should include all the costs that you have incurred for the rectifications and anytime you have put in yourself.

This guy needs a wake up call!

I also thought of plumbing as artwork and doff my cap to the proper plumbers who can create art. That is awful, as the consequences of any heat getting to the o ring just replace them and that abortion of pipework for towel rad, just get it done in copper , wont take long to knock that up, properly.

The scorched fittings:

The one on the right seems like a trace of smoke damage (never heard of a heat mat eh?) and is probably fine, but the one on the left looks like he's probably soldered right up close to it and probably overheated the internals via thermal conduction down the copper pipe.

The pipework for the towel radiator goes down before it goes up, so it shouldn't airlock, and it will probably work alright, but seems to be a mess of various branded fittings unsupported and installed under strain. I wouldn't entirely trust it.

I'm not expecially worried about that short bit of orphaned pipe.

Thanks for this advice. The new plumber (who rectified all of the mess created by the first plumber last Friday) came back on Monday to fit the shower tray and bath prior to tiling. I was supposed to have put down new plywood flooring at the weekend, but I left the 2nd piece loose so I could show him the scorched fittings and strange radiator pipework. He agreed that it would be better to change them, but after screwing down the last bit of flooring and leaving plumber to fit the bath, I saw from below that he'd only changed one of the scorched fittings. I think from the angle he was sitting it wasn't possible to see how scorched the second fitting was, so he probably only saw a bit of smoke damage. Anyway, he changed the worse one and the one most likely to have suffered internal damage through heat conduction down the pipe (good point you made about this, as it hadn't even occurred to me), so I guess everything should be fine.

He also removed the strange T-piece on the rad pipes, but didn't redo the whole thing.

Re. the mix of fittings, that's because the plumbers who did the radiators used Hep2O and our first 'plumber' used Speedfit, so I don't think it was one guy mixing them. Or is it best practice to carry on using the same fittings that are already there?

See attached photos.

IMG_0244.JPG

IMG_0246.JPG

I felt sorry for you at one stage - then I took it back.
Now I feel genuinely sorry for you - teetering on 'morbidly sorry'

Those fittings he soldered, he didn't even disconnect the plastic fittings.

Anything melted / scorched - just replace.
Also the mix match of fittings - replace.

I would be sending the plumber some of the photo's you have put on here and asked for more than a refund.

I would threaten him with small claims for the full cost of the rectifications that are needed due to his standard of work.
This should include all the costs that you have incurred for the rectifications and anytime you have put in yourself.

This guy needs a wake up call!

Yes, I need to sit down and work out a plan of action. However, even if I were to go to the small claims court and win my case, is there a guarantee I'll get my money back? I was just chatting to a tiler (who we had round to do our kitchen) about our bathroom saga and he said he once took a builder to court for not paying £2k, won his case, the guy got a CCJ against his name, but never paid...

Quick update – bathroom was finished last week, so you probably won't see me lurking around here from now on. Does that mean I'll lose my "Top Contributor" badge or do I get to keep that? :)

For those who saw my other thread, the toilet ended up being fitted with about a 1-2cm gap between the cistern and the tiled wall. Surprisingly, this looks absolutely fine and I wonder if Duravit designed it to be like this due to the lack of fixing holes in the cistern. I've also since seen quite a few photos online of toilets fitted like this (up close to, but not touching, the wall). There was discussion of fixing something inside the cistern and then attaching it to the wall, to sort of pull the cistern back a bit, but the plumbers felt it would have put too much strain on the bolts connecting the cistern to the pan, so had to be dropped. NB. The cistern couldn't simply be pushed right up to the wall, and fixed with silicone, as the back of the pan protrudes about 2cm beyond the back of the cistern!

Re. plumber 1, I emailed him and explained I was very unhappy with his work and asked for a full refund. He wrote back asking for evidence of all the things I'd highlighted which of course I was able to produce very readily. After a few emails back and forth, with him arguing he hadn't done anything wrong, he relented and gave me a full refund! Although this whole thing ended up costing me about £2k more than anticipated as a result of his work (not to mention a huge amount of stress and time), a refund of £1250 reduced my losses to £750 approx, which is a bit easier to live with. And I think to get compensation for the additional losses would have meant going through the small claims court.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to OK for waste to run uphill a short distance? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock