Search the forum,

Discuss Oil smell on and off in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi again. Having successfully solved my secondary problem it’s now time to reconsider the primary fault.

my boiler smells of oil, not always but usually.
system is 25 years old and boiler is serviced annually. Metal tank in garden with Atkinson tank-master tap. Trianco boiler in utility room. Last delivery of oil just under 4 weeks ago. Smell started only 4 days ago.

Our service chap changed the jet, cleaned the flue and reset the air flap. Runs quieter but still smells. He wouldnt go further as he couldn’t isolate the oil tank as the tap was seized.

I've managed to free off the tap and fit a new filter, it was full of crud and sludge.

Oil smell still present. No sign of any leaking or sweating.

So I’m thinking there’s either a leak I can’t find, or perhaps there’s some muck in the line or solenoid preventing a perfect shut off seal, but then why does it still smell when it’s running and when it’s not running.

I intend to either get my chap out again or to look for another technician to come for a look.

Are there any other potential sources of oil smells that may be the problem.

many thanks

gary

Last edited:
Update..

Thanks to the internet, this forum and YouTube I think I have located the source of the smell. Opened the burner cover and discovered a damp patch under the pump. Blue cloth showed it was coming from the pump its self so I suspect either an O ring or other seal has failed.

New pump seems to be around £80 and honestly look hard to fit, I assume It'll need bleeding too.

Fingers crossed and any pointers very welcomed.

thanks

Reply to Oil smell on and off in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock