Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Oil Boiler not firing up in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Kellie Riccardo

Kellie Riccardo New Member

Hi,
    My oil boiler stopped working, and will not fire back up.
    It appears the header tank may have run dry (I have to switch the water to it on and off, as otherwise it overfills and overflows),
    Header tank now full, system drained a little to eliminate air, and seems okay.

When I turn it on, it doesn't fire, if I force the zone valve across very quickly it attempts to fire then shuts off (3 seconds max).

The system is a shoddy 40 year old one, with terrible plumbing and wiring. Two motorised zone vale, neither actually automated so have to be permanently fixed into the open position. Hot water and CH both have to be on, its all or nothing - currently nothing!

any ideas? I'm freezing! ta

2. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

What do you mean it attempts to fire. Does the fan on the burner run.

First thing to check if it's been low on water is high limit.

But sounds more of a control's issue.

Time to phone your oil engineer.

3. Riley

Riley S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

I’d agree with Si, sounds like controls to me

4. Kellie Riccardo

The 'control box' is a Honeywell 42005748-001, and its the most messed up wiring you could wish to see! Is it this box thats controlling it? As for 'oil engineer', not easy to find anyone prepared to touch a 40 year old system, they just want to sell me a new one - if they bother to turn up!

5. Kellie Riccardo

sorry, and yes the fan works, its not a fan issue, I can free that easily when it sticks. It does seem very much like something is 'turning it off', and the little light on the Honeywell controller box inside the boiler doesn't light up - which is usually a sign the boiler itself is at fault (i.e no oil etc)

6. Riley

We mean controls like the valves not necessarily the physical controls you turn on and off

7. Kellie Riccardo

The 'physical control' is literally turning the fuse switch on or off! the thermostat never worked. I replaced the zone valves and pump, but the zone valves still never worked and I had to jam them permanently in the open position. Its worked fine for the past year after doing that, until the header tank ran dry a couple of nights ago. its a mason 130/170 - vented system.

8. Riley

Pump bled? All air out

9. Kellie Riccardo

Yes, definitely no air, had the pump off, its fine. When you push the switch on the zone valve really fast the pump lcd lights up for a second, the boiler fires, then it all goes off again after a second or so

10. Riley

It doesn’t mean the pumps actually turning though.

11. Riley

It boils down to a controls prob still. I know you’ve had a work around with manually opening the valves I think you probably need somebody in who is competent in heating wiring and get them to sort it for good. The handles on the valves aren’t really designed to be manual on off switches

12. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Valve heads goosed.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

Get a heating engineer in.
    It sounds like a mess of a job and with bodge it attempts at keeping heat working.

14. Kellie Riccardo

Getting someone competent is the problem! I'm out in the sticks. You call them, they never turn up!

15. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

Got to be someone surely?
    Put your approximate region on here, - on the find a tradesperson part of forum if you want some of the oil engineers here