Search the forum,

Discuss OFTEC Re-Training in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ste2806

Hi everyone, Im new to this forum so bare with me.

My OFTEC training is due in the next couple of weeks and was just wondering if any of you have thought the same about re-training because i know you can service, install and commision without being OFTEC registered, using the orange unbranded forms. I cant see the benefits of registering.

I spoke to OFTEC this afternoon and asked them what work i couldnt do if i was not registered and by the sounds of it their isnt. We have been registered with oftec for 15 years as a company (mine is only 5 years) and now weve started to find other company's are undercutting us in price because they are not forking out for the training and registration.

Just wondered if their is any other registered technicians out their that have thought the same.

Commissioning needs an oftec engineer or warranties are void and no building regs registration. Its everything else you can do.

you can buy the unbranded CD11 forms do these have to be signed by a registered technician? OFTEC couldnt answer this question earlier :)

Doesn't matter wether it's unbranded or not, how you going to register with manufacturer for warranty or register with building control. They'll want your OFTEC number.

OK, we mainly do service and maintenance and we have already got somebody that has 3 years left on his training so he can sign off any installation. Thnks for your advice.

its all well and good until you cock up and get sued. then a judge may want you to prove yourself competant, which is ok as you can show him your oftec quals but what you cant do is show him that you also belong to a registration body, which is a requirement under british standards to prove competence. then what you going to do when your insurers say you havent fulfilled their requirements for being competant? everything is brilliant till it all goes wrong then you lose your house etc, is your somebody willing to put his bum on the line for you then?

But if you cock up you will get sued wether registered or not. I totally agree with what you are saying. We have always been registered but lately we are getting undercut so much by un registered plumbers and OFTEC are promoting this buy selling unbranded forms and some boiler manufactures are providing unbranded CD10 forms with the boiler. OFTEC should be mandatory like gas safe that way you are not working against these cheaper un registered installers.

or someone flooding the trout stream, where all the MPs fish, with 2000 litres of kerosene

I agree. Why wait for deaths tho? Prevention is better than the cure.

The way i view it if anything goes wrong.

being oftec trained and registered is the difference between having a leg to stand on or bending over and offering the gloves and vaseline!

not to mention it shows some level of being a professional.

Thats the only benefit i can see is it shows competence to a customer.

and their deposit is safe, as long as you pay for that ridiculous warranty insurance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(must remember to do so one day:) )

We are going to renew training now but totally dis agree with this unbranded form s**t. Thanks for the advice guys

Theirs still enough oil service and mantinence work for us all but installation work has totally dropped. I guess these unregisered technicians arent so clever on the mantinence side :)

Theirs still enough oil service and mantinence work for us all but installation work has totally dropped.

I'm just about to consider a new boiler. Oil (with new bunder oil tank) would cost the same a Rayburn. Issue as far as i'm concerned with oil is the theft and tank vandalism (which would cost one £20k fine and 3-5 times that for the environmental health departments clean up bill). Oil is not a consideration in my view - oil in East Anglia went over 90p two years ago. That makes oil more than twice the price of coal. I did have a quote for oil and he wanted £2500 for labour... seems very steep for a days work. I used to commission oil and gas platforms and got £400-500/per day.... plumbers seem to do ok.

I'm just about to consider a new boiler. Oil (with new bunder oil tank) would cost the same a Rayburn. Issue as far as i'm concerned with oil is the theft and tank vandalism (which would cost one £20k fine and 3-5 times that for the environmental health departments clean up bill). Oil is not a consideration in my view - oil in East Anglia went over 90p two years ago. That makes oil more than twice the price of coal. I did have a quote for oil and he wanted £2500 for labour... seems very steep for a days work. I used to commission oil and gas platforms and got £400-500/per day.... plumbers seem to do ok.

Havent you heard of inflation, two farthings used to buy me a 3 piece suit have you seen what a T shirt costs now:cry_smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

As suspected and a clarification to us all..........an engineer !

Lol yes course you did

It will have been one of those 'I'll buy the boiler and flue, oh and the pipework and fittings, oh and flux, solder and gas for your torch' with an added 'I've been in the industry for 141 years and will watch over you for every second to make sure you do a proper job' and a 'I'll have to charge you for cups of tea and recharging any of your battery powered tools using my electric' for good measure.

It will have been one of those 'I'll buy the boiler and flue, oh and the pipework and fittings, oh and flux, solder and gas for your torch' with an added 'I've been in the industry for 141 years and will watch over you for every second to make sure you do a proper job' and a 'I'll have to charge you for cups of tea and recharging any of your battery powered tools using my electric' for good measure.

Lol I was thinking the same mate lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to OFTEC Re-Training in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock