Search the forum,

Discuss Oftec guy or any plumber to fit oil boiler? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mrs Tara Plumbi

Though of you guys when I overheard lady saying OFTEC guy's quotes was really expensive but a friend of a friend could fit it so much cheaper....
I butted in with a piece of my mind (cos i'm that kind of person) with a rant about how it is a small price to pay for an appliance that she will use every day for years and that could kill her whole family if not put in right!

the world is about saving money, some folk just dont care about there safety. rather save money then a life, What did she reply when you said the above to her

Steven

croppie doesnt do oil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or have u gone mad

Commercial oil, commercial gas, domestic (Pfftttt) oil, domestic (Pfftttt) gas.

All in my remit now Stan.

Except the bloody boiler in the cathedral today which decided to start spilling round the outside of the flue turret so I had to strip the flue and declad the boiler to check all the joints. Then desoot and recommission the bugger.

Not a happy bunny today. My only saving grace is it was an NXR3 so desooting only took a couple of hours. The worst thing was because it was in a cathedral I couldn't swear as lustily as normal!

Mrs Croppie ran screaming when I came home. It was nearly dark and all you could see were me eyes and teeth!

Last edited by a moderator:
there but for the grace of god ............. (did u get a drink and a bite to eat fm the vicar?)

Just as an aside (and as a way of potentially winding a few up :) )

Are there not other bodies other than Oftec than can certify people to work on Oil boilers?

As I understood it there are actualy quite a few, though Oftec may the the one that most would gravitate towards..

(Lights touchpaper and retires a safe distance :) )

Just as an aside (and as a way of potentially winding a few up :) )

Are there not other bodies other than Oftec than can certify people to work on Oil boilers?

As I understood it there are actualy quite a few, though Oftec may the the one that most would gravitate towards..

(Lights touchpaper and retires a safe distance :) )

There are but OFTEC is the best known one, I can't even think of the others! Again something else that's wrong in the oil industry. I long for the day that OFTEC (or whomever) are granted the same powers of prosecution that Gas Safe enjoys.

Especially after the nearly 50 year old oil direct fired flueless 350kw grain dryer I found today. heat exchanger open both ends (by design), the heated air including the PoC's were drawn by rotary fan and pumped into a floor chamber and allowed to pass up through bags of grain in the drying room.

I can honestly say it was the first time my mouth went dry with fear! How the hell no-one has been killed by it I don't know.

It's been turned off and isolated while I talk to HSE and OFTEC.

thats how all grain driers work, seriously, blow hot air through grain and fumes permeate out through barn door, I was always sleepy as a student farmer working the drier until the early hours.

You sure?

maybe back in the days of yore when we were nippers but they can't be legal now!

They were fitted to mfis back then so not a lot you can do now surely, unless you can prove high co in ambient air in area

Well, fortunately the burner's knackered on this one. Nu Way don't do a direct replacement and have suggested a different manufacturer. MI's have just flown out the window.

If I could find them that is!

Comes under the same requirements as any flueless combustion appliance. The OEL TWAs apply for CO for duration of exposure.

(8 hour TWA OEL is 30ppm)

If the output of CO is always under 30ppm you are OK

Last edited:
whenti93.jpg

Thought everyone did occupational exposures as part of H&S training? Apparently not.

OEL Occupational Exposure Limit
TWA Time Weighted Average

Meaning that the maximum permitted exposure to CO is 30ppm as time weighted average over an 8 hour period.

If an occupational CO monitor shows a consistent level of CO under 30ppm, the HSE deems it acceptable for exposure over a typical 8 hour shift.

There are occupational exposure limits which are higher for shorter periods of exposure, for example up to 200ppm is permitted for a 15 minute exposure period. An example of this may be for a furnace startup where the amount of CO generated initially will be much higher when the appliance is cold but as it heats up combustion efficiency increases meaning dramatically less CO when up to temperature.

I would however warn people against advising customers over exposure levels - analysis and advice should only be given by those qualified to measure, monitor exposure using the correct monitoring equipment (a combustion analyser cannot determine TWAs) and advise. A standard CO meter can give a snapshot of CO levels at any given time and you can advise the customer to undertake exposure monitoring as long as you put in writing that your findings do not constitute a safety check. If you find levels above these you can advise the customer that they have a problem but you cannot on the converse say that a situation is safe if you find levels under.

Last edited:
Whats Health & Safety training?

On a serious note, thanks for explaining.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Oftec guy or any plumber to fit oil boiler? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock