Search the forum,

Discuss Obsolete boilers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeebeedee

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
How long if at all do manufacturers have to produce spare parts for boilers? Just asking as yesterday I found out potterton envoy's are now obsolete. They are condensing boilers about 10 years old. Where as potterton pumas g rated permanent pilots are still being produced. If I'd bought an envoy 10 years ago to be told now its obsolete buy a new boiler I'd be pretty ****ed off! It's clear they never sold that many so they don't produce the parts anymore, must sell loads of pumas so its worth there while.

I seem to recall that manufacturers are obliged to produce spares for a boiler for up to 10 years after last production.

Could be wrong, but I thought they were legally obliged for 7 years.

I seem to recall that manufacturers are obliged to produce spares for a boiler for up to 10 years after last production.

Thats what I heard aswell 10 years after the last boiler rolls of the production line. It could however sit in a factory for a couple of years though before it has been fitted.

its 10 years its also highly unusual for interpart not to produce parts after 10 years

As mentioned, 10 years after model ceased production is the requirement for manufacturers to make parts available.
This also depends on the popularity of model.
The Envoy ceased production late 90's and was not so popular a model, so part availability will be dwindling.
The Puma was a more popular combi, produced up until year 2000, so as it was a more popular model and just outside the 10 year window, most parts are available.

i was told it was 7 years is the law on production of spare parts but industry standard seems to be 10 years,, so i reckon somewere between 7-10 is a good bet

Or if your the gas board, when ever you think you can flog a new boiler to cust by telling them parts are no longer available.

E.U. law is ten years from last date of production, far as I know all member states comply with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Obsolete boilers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock