Search the forum,

Discuss Obsolete Boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have a Ferroli Optima 900 boiler in my flat and t's never given me any problems in the 6.5 years since I moved in. I pay for boiler and central heating cover, including an annual service but it doesn't cover replacement since the unit is more than 10 years old and I know that the model has been discontinued and that I wouldn't be able to get replacements for some of the parts if they were to malfunction. What I don't know is how many of the parts are unavailable and how likely they are to go? If it does break down what are the chances I can actually get it repaired? If it can't be repaired I'm basically just giving money away right now so it feels like I'd be better off cancelling the cover and paying each year for a service, right?

Any help from someone who's familiar with the model would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Not much point paying insurance for something that won't get repaired if it breaks down, defeats the object really
Cancel the policy and put you monthly fee away and save for the inevitable and hope it's a few yrs down the line
Use a good local gas guy to service it/carry out a system check (water quality etc) and ask him about availability of parts

You can contact the manufacturer and ask what parts are on the shorts parts list but you can guarantee it will be the part you need that won't be on it. Stop paying insurance and save the money towards replacement

you can get most parts if you want too, just look harder but not commercially viable for big firms to carry or look for odds n sods

Parts are usually available for 20 years after model is discontinued. Maybe not with all manufacturers, but most do so.

Not much point paying insurance for something that won't get repaired if it breaks down, defeats the object really
Cancel the policy and put you monthly fee away and save for the inevitable and hope it's a few yrs down the line
Use a good local gas guy to service it/carry out a system check (water quality etc) and ask him about availability of parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Obsolete Boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock