Search the forum,

Discuss NVQ 2 assessments on site in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mezza123

Hi there i need to book an on site assessment to get mt nvq 2 but dont know where to start looking. I have my technical certificate level 2 already just need to turn it into an NVQ. If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated. I have work lined up that I think will satisfy the criteria but just not sure of my next step. Thanks in advance.

Apprenticeship with a decent plumber, you need 2 cold installations 2 hot installations 2 heating installations and 6 RM

You will need to check with your local colleges or training providers because the 6089 which is the NVQ (of the old Tech Cert 6129), runs out at the end of this month, I think.
If it is still going or there is a replacement, then you will need to sign up for the course (which will cost) they will talk through with you what evidence will be required for site & you will be able to book an on-site assessor to come & see you, it use to be a minimum of 4.

I was told this is not possible? I was told that in order to get the nvq you HAVE to gain employment with a plumber for 2 years and go to college one day a week. I know because I have the 6129 and I wanted to upgrade it to the nvq but my college told me it was not possible unless I got an apprenticeship. I have the 6129 and I work with an experienced plumber and I'm learning a lot but because I'm not going to college I'm not going to get an NVQ but in my eyes I'm qualified and I'm learning so just as good apart from I can't obtain a cscs card and do site work but by what iv heard about site work that's not a bad thing.

You can do it, an assessor just needs to see you do the work on site in a real situation. Obviously they charge you for that :(

you need a minimum of 18months on site training with an employer and to complete the portfolio your assessor gives you which is easy IMO, thats what you have to do for the new 6089 NVQ, I did mine by working for someone for free for 18months...

you need a minimum of 18months on site training with an employer and to complete the portfolio your assessor gives you which is easy IMO, thats what you have to do for the new 6089 NVQ, I did mine by working for someone for free for 18months...

With all due respect Mr Meek you do not know what you are talking about there is no minimum time & you may well have found it easy but others without your practical training will not. I also suspect that you have not completed the Level 3 qualification which you may find is a tad more taxing ? There are some employers would not consider you properly qualified until you obtain a level 3.

Danny that is the college telling you that because they do not offer the NVQ on it is own, why not check with City & Guilds if you are lucky they may be able to advise you if the old 6129 can be counted towards one of the new NVQ's.

You don't have to be employed to get nvq 2, and as said there is no time limit. I did mine self employed, and had it done in less than 18 months. But you will have to shop around the colleges, if your not employed you will have a lot of site visits from the assessor and some colleges charge per visit, some don't. The provider that looks the cheapest may not be in the end.

With all due respect Mr Meek you do not know what you are talking about there is no minimum time & you may well have found it easy but others without your practical training will not. I also suspect that you have not completed the Level 3 qualification which you may find is a tad more taxing ? There are some employers would not consider you properly qualified until you obtain a level 3.

Danny that is the college telling you that because they do not offer the NVQ on it is own, why not check with City & Guilds if you are lucky they may be able to advise you if the old 6129 can be counted towards one of the new NVQ's.

well your clearly miss informed, for one I agree plumbing isnt easy, but the NVQ2 portfolio is all the assessor needs to see is 2 rads hanged and piped up and 2 hots and 2 colds taps installed as a minimum and you can pass..., and for the 18month thing, I completed the 6129 tech in a year got put onto 6089 NVQ and completed the portfolio in what.. a month, but still had to work for 18month before I could hand in the portfolio in. explain that then and btw the 6129 techy can be transfered onto the new NVQ...

as of last year September time it changed to what im telling you, either listen or dont.

Lvl2 tech cert plumbing lasted 2yrs.
Lvl2 NVQ took 4 visits so 4hours.
Lvl3 tech cert and acops took 2yrs
Lvl3 NVQ took roughly 4/6 visits so 1hr each
Gas portfolio was all paperwork, think had to do mixture of service, gas rate, ventilation, pipe sizing - runs, burner pressures/heat inputs

well your clearly miss informed, for one I agree plumbing isnt easy, but the NVQ2 portfolio is all the assessor needs to see is 2 rads hanged and piped up and 2 hots and 2 colds taps installed as a minimum and you can pass..., and for the 18month thing, I completed the 6129 tech in a year got put onto 6089 NVQ and completed the portfolio in what.. a month, but still had to work for 18month before I could hand in the portfolio in. explain that then and btw the 6129 techy can be transfered onto the new NVQ...

Seriously? My NVQ 2 had to be a lot more than that but there was no time limit at all, when you completed the folder you were done.

I think it's different if your employed or self employed. If your employedf then you can have a work place recorder (your boss) sign off that you are competent on a lot of stuff. If your on your own then the nvq assessor has to view it all. It's a lot more than four visits

if you do your tech cert and nvq at the same time 1 day a week at college etc, its a two year course, if you DID the 6219 before last sept, and want to do the NVQ they put the 6129 tech onto the new 6089 full NVQ but you need a min of 18month on site, why do you think its a two year course when you do both the tech n nvq at same time? if you do it separately you still need the same length of time onsite as it would of been if you done them at the same time which is 18month. is this so hard to explain?

Well yes, because I got my 6129 in nine weeks full time in college and then went straight into doing an nvq which took me about nine months. sound like your saying it's changed since then, but I know people are still doing the nvq self employed and not doing 18 months on site, so there must be different avenues still.

MrMeek's
A word of caution, if I may, it is dangerous to rely just on ones own experiences, as to the rules & requirements of something which may be a bit more complicated than you relies.

Chris Watkins - A1 assessor for the City & Guilds Level 2 & 3 6089 NVQ plumbing.

P.S.
for information (this is the old qualification) you have never been able to be sole self employed i.e. working on your own to gain the NVQ as it required a minimum of one "Workplace recorder" who has to provide their details, who has to sign to say that you are working & have completed tasks within the NVQ.

Chris your incorrect there. I've got a n nvq sitting in my draw as proof, as have others I know. If there is no work place recorder then it has to be done by direct observation by an NVQ assessor.

MrMeek's
A word of caution, if I may, it is dangerous to rely just on ones own experiences, as to the rules & requirements of something which may be a bit more complicated than you relies.

Chris Watkins - A1 assessor for the City & Guilds Level 2 & 3 6089 NVQ plumbing.

P.S.
for information (this is the old qualification) you have never been able to be sole self employed i.e. working on your own to gain the NVQ as it required a minimum of one "Workplace recorder" who has to provide their details, who has to sign to say that you are working & have completed tasks within the NVQ.

so when I got my tech which took a year and it got transferred onto the new cert why was it that about 8 of us that done it the same way had to do a minimum of 18month on site before we could hand our portfolios in?

i keep saying 6089 but I mean the new one the 6189

Last edited by a moderator:
so when I got my tech which took a year and it got transferred onto the new cert why was it that about 8 of us that done it the same way had to do a minimum of 18month on site before we could hand our portfolios in?
Your training providers choice ! Not C&G.

Chris your incorrect there. I've got a n nvq sitting in my draw as proof, as have others I know. If there is no work place recorder then it has to be done by direct observation by an NVQ assessor.
Then you have a fraudulently obtained NVQ qualification !!

Its a shame that you are another victim of this con by training providers who will just take you money & give away the qualification, it is devaluing what other have worked very hard to achieve & is having a impact right across the industry because employers are un-able to rely on it as a basic measure of competency.

No I haven't, you just have the wrong information. I know it's not fraud becuase no where in my nvq folder did it pretend I was doing anything that wasn't true. At no place did it say I had a work place recorder and it was perfectly clear I was working for myslef and having direct observation from and nvq assessor. That was sent to c&g and they passed it. You shouldn't throw words like "fraud" about. Just because you don't do it that way where you work does not mean it can't be done.

as from my experience,
I done 6129 tech cert
then done the 6189 NVQ
for the portfolio
I needed 2 cold/hot installs simply installing 2 taps!, 2 heating hanging a rand and piping, 2 decommissioning turn water of turn water on simple, and a few ball valve changes and I got my portfolio finished took me a few weeks to do but when I went to college to hand it in my assessor told me that c&g needed me to have a minimum of 18 month on site experience because you can not learn this trade in a few weeks!.

as for being self employed doing this course or with a company I was with a company but as far as im aware you can do this 6189 self employed you just need to be assessed everytime instead of your employer being able to sign some of the portfolio of.

this was on c&q website

If you are currently a holder of or you are working towards the C&G 6129-02 Technical Certificate and you think that at some future time you may want to complete your NVQ (note that you will need to be actually working as a plumber either employed or self employed)

i keep saying 6089 but I mean the new one the 6189
woo woo hold your horses !! one minute we are talking about the old 6129 tech cert + the 6089 NVQ & then suddenly it's all change to the 6189 NVQ Diploma.
My post where in regards to the old NVQ not the new which is combined on & off site modules, I not not know the details of the on site stuff.

Thank you very much Chris I will ask C & G if it is possible and a price for sending an assessor out.

woo woo hold your horses !! one minute we are talking about the old 6129 tech cert + the 6089 NVQ & then suddenly it's all change to the 6189 NVQ Diploma.
My post where in regards to the old NVQ not the new which is combined on & off site modules, I not not know the details of the on site stuff.

sorry I checked it just then and Im on about the 6189, from last year 6089 and 6129 no longer run, its all about the 6189 now which is the tech and nvq at same time if you have the 6129 tech that ok youll just have to do the nvq side of the 6189 WHICH also requires a minimum of 18month on site training. :)

the assessor even when you have finished the portfolio still comes out every 3 month to make sure you are still actively in the trade and learning when you have done it for 18month you can then hand in your portfolio.

Last edited by a moderator:
All this '6189' and '6129 Tech cert' utterly confuses me, why did they have to complicate things? I'm glad I got my levels 2&3 done and dusted years ago.

"I got my portfolio finished took me a few weeks to do but when I went to college to hand it in my assessor told me that c&g needed me to have a minimum of 18 month on site experience because you can not learn this trade in a few weeks!."

Aint that the truth. Weirdly I had to do two bathrooms from first fix to count as my hot and cold installs. Just goes to show I think they make some of it up as they go along. And even once I had my NVQ it still took me another year before I felt competent really.

"I got my portfolio finished took me a few weeks to do but when I went to college to hand it in my assessor told me that c&g needed me to have a minimum of 18 month on site experience because you can not learn this trade in a few weeks!."

Aint that the truth. Weirdly I had to do two bathrooms from first fix to count as my hot and cold installs. Just goes to show I think they make some of it up as they go along. And even once I had my NVQ it still took me another year before I felt competent really.

you do have to do 2 bathrooms! but the assessor only needs to see connections, so basically do the bathrooms and when it comes to connecting the taps get the assessor out and thats 1 hot and cold ticked of.. its really that easy tbh buts its stupid. but on the new 6189 you need a min on 18 month experience and I am leaving this thread now its doing my box in. to the op and danny, you'll find out I am right eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to NVQ 2 assessments on site in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Can anyone recommend a decent multi meter, preferably under a 100 pounds. It's for checking boiler components so I don't need a top spec one ....just easy to use and reliable. The fluke 115 looks good but its above my budget. My current socket and see one was great but it's developed a fault.
Replies
Views
Hi they used to say as a last resort you could discharge the D2 pipework at high level and turn it back to the wall. Similar to a combi boiler. I have just looked back through the regs this seems to have changed and it isn't mentioned now. It now mentions if at high level it should be discharged...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock