Search the forum,

Discuss Not soldering in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

Cannot understand why the solder is going into balls and dropping off the pipe. Must be making basic errors but cannot understand what. As the soldering yesterday was fine.

Any ideas

Thanks

Pipes cleaned with wire wool? Properly fluxed up? Water in the pipework?

I'd say most likely water in pipe

I would say pipe not clean as it's melting and dripping of and not sucking into joint

Overheating can cause this. As other's have said water in the pipe can also cause the opposite issue of not reaching soldering temperature and the solder will bead or run off.

Pipe not cleaned or fluxed properly. Overheating burns all the flux off.

Thanks everyone for your replies. It is copper pipe and it was cleaned and no water in the pipe, so i guess I have not fluxed enough

Try not to heat the joint too much and keep adding flux on the end of the solder wire.
When the solder wire just begins to start melting, (touching copper, but not under the flame), you are normally only 2 or 3 seconds from the correct temperature for soldering.
If the clean pipe and fitting inside and outside hasn't been "tinned" (coated in solder) then it will not solder properly when the flame tarnishes it. That is why you need to keep the surfaces fluxed. Note that capillary action also works well with flux, so don't be afraid to add flux as you solder.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Not soldering in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock