Discuss Not paying for a job in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you do need evidence of bad workmanship for court, take plenty of photographs at all stages of removal and also get reports from experts (qualified plumbers and other trades).
Courts won't just accept your word

Don't use checkatrade for references, ask your neighbours if they have had any work. Or know anyone. Personal recommendation is always best.
Ask the new guy for examples of his work and contact those customers to confirm!

You won't offend, I get asked for pictures of my work on bathrooms all the time.

Don't use checkatrade for references, ask your neighbours if they have had any work. Or know anyone. Personal recommendation is always best.
Ask the new guy for examples of his work and contact those customers to confirm!

You won't offend, I get asked for pictures of my work on bathrooms all the time.

What's wrong with Checkatrade? I'm on I don't bodge things, rip people off leave leaks (or if I do by mistake I sort it)

What's wrong with Checkatrade? I'm on I don't bodge things, rip people off leave leaks (or if I do by mistake I sort it)

All I'm saying is the best way of checking someone's work is to see it.

All I'm saying is the best way of checking someone's work is to see it.

I agree but unless you take people round to jobs that you have done how do they know that's your work off photos and not something you have pinched off the internet?

There was a leak originally which was why we looked at getting a whole new bathroom. We advised all fitters of this when they came round, and pointed out the issues plus the type of walls they were dealing with.

I didn't check these, how do I find out if they have insurance? or is this only done by contacting them and requesting it?

I have checked this, the job has been registered so I have been told.

I have been looking round for trades today to come in and quote for the remedial work, I have asked them to check all aspects of the plumbing work, separately I have been looking for a tiler via the checkatrade website hopefully they can advise on what needs to be done.

Thank you for your advice, never thought about Buildings Insurance claim, I will see what the cost of the work will come to, and make a decision from their.
What I have put is the truth, I thought this site would be full or trades people that will just back each other, but I wanted to get some advice from proper trades people on which way I should take this, and everyone has given useful advice, and things I hadn't thought of. Ripping out and starting again isn't something I really relish, but if that's how it gets sorted properly, then that's the way it will have to be.

Just hope second time round it will all work out.

You should receive a form from the electrician which is a self certification form issued by one of the only two bodies in the UK legally authorised to do so. NIECC AND NAPPI. The tradesman has to submit this form to the organisation and a few weeks later you will get a cert from building control. The trade has to give you that paperwork. If they don't you need to report this to building control. They will prosecute.

Ask trades for copies of their insurance. I always supplied one with the estimate, not offended or suspicious if asked. In fact proud to give it, also same for certs of qualifications, references etc etc.

Don't reckon check a trade etc etc. Too easy to fake results imho.

Also imho tilers are tilers. Builders are builders. Word of mouth and personal recommendations are always the best imho. You're local trading standards will have a list of qualified trades. So will building control. Well they do in Hertfordshire anyway.

Sorry to resurrect my thread, but an update on proceedings.
On the 5th Jan I issued a letter to the fitter stating the issues we found, and our intent to withhold payment it was reviewed but other professionals, if the quote for rectification work was under the invoice amount, we would subtract this from the invoice and pay the remainder.

No answer to letter.

We had a family recommended plumber to quote, the shower has all been plumbed incorrectly so warranty is void, pipes not lagged etc. Has quoted for work.
Recommended tiler laughed at pictures of before, said there's 2 choices, Tiler Backer/Aqua panel 12mm put onto wall, and then tiled over or replace wall.
Also have the shower screen manufacturers technician visit to review the shower screen, he noted the amount of silicone, said it had not been fitted correctly, pointed out the thick bead of silicone on the outside was to cover the holes that had been drilled in the tiles where the screen had been incorrectly fitted, and said it's still not fitted correctly.

Total for rectifying work is £1800

Sent follow up letter to fitter stating this, and formally refusing payment. So as not to have this dragging on we have suggested that he can keep the £250 deposit and that is the matter finished with him and allows us to commission the repair work. He has 10 working days to respond of which 5 is over currently. No response as yet.

I did see his van this morning when walking the dog, felt like warning the home owner, but not sure that's my place to do so.

Sounds fair and reasonable - from what you have told us.

You may want to get legal advice to make sure you are acting within the Law.
You may want to get a lawyer to send letters for you.

As for warning the other homeowner about your experiences - don't get involved.
If they ask you, tell them as much as you dare

As for warning the other homeowner about your experiences - don't get involved.
If they ask you, tell them as much as you dare

True, best keep out of it. I just want my situation sorted.

As for the solicitor, I could but it's all additional cost on my side to do that. Ideally he responds accepting the situation, and the agreement is made. I need to tread carefully after 10 days, but checking with the CAB it's best to make an agreement outside of solicitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Not paying for a job in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My plumber fitted a shower, 2 of the walls are glass panels and one is a tile board (wedi board). He joint the wedi board pieces (3 pieces) close...
Replies
Views
Not sure what my options are here. Basically a friend of mine recommended his father in law to do our plumbing/gas work for our renovation. First...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, A plumber did some work for me and has done so in the past as well and has been great which is why I hire him. Anyway the last job...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the...
Replies
Views
Hi Just had a new bathroom installed with a toilet bowl that reaches the back wall. Its has a bottom entry cold feed to the cistern. The fitter...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock