Discuss Not paying for a job in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rocketman, with respect, I think you are being a bit harsh in the OP. Assuming he is telling the truth re the newness of the product, I probably would not pay for the parts. At the very least, I would be deducting the cost of the ruined product supplied by me.
RM, can you honestly say that the work looks like that of a reasonable tradesman, let alone one at the top his trade.?
I am not a plumber, but a Gas Service Engineer, and HATE bathroom work etc. But I would be embarrassed to put my name to that pile of rubbish.
That said, we know that we only ever hear one side of an argument, but pictures do speak volumes.

Also Pal did I say it looked reasonable?

No, I never, it looks like he's done it himself with no practise ever.

The job looks crap.

What you need is someone in to look & tell you exactly what's wrong & what's needed.

It's all well & good trying to get advice on a forum but it's too difficult as its all - what if this & what about that.

You've had lots of advice & im sure you've spoken to friends etc. about it.

The bathroom needs attention & fixing to your standard that's for sure. You wanted a job done & it's no good.

As I said, if you feel so strongly that you don't want this chap back then you need to get someone else in soon to sort it & if it ends up in court then you fight your battle.

Good luck. I hope it gets sorted.

The plumber should have consulted you as soon as stramit was discovered. You obviously didn't realize it was unsuitable for tiling but as a professional he should have. In any tiling work it is essential to have a stable background.
Should you receive a County Court claim, be sure to defend within the time limit and put in counter claim for whole cost of new work. The original claimant must also defend the counter claim within the time scale. If he fails to do this, seek a judgement by default and you will be awarded the counter claim without appearing in court.
As the counter claim will exceed the original the "plumber" would be stupid to pursue you through the court.

Thanks everyone. As Rocketman says I need to get someone professional in to review and quote, but the advice from everyone is much appreciated.

You have posted on a plumber's forum suggesting you don't pay your plumber. No one has attacked you. After this, appearing in court before a neutral judge should hold no fears.

Thanks everyone. As Rocketman says I need to get someone professional in to review and quote, but the advice from everyone is much appreciated.

personally when im asked to provide a qoute for a bathroom i tell all my customers that standard is between £3000-£6000 depending on the work and materials the customer wants
as i do everything apart from any plastering and final decoration

My advice would be to rip out and start again, all walls need to be solid if tiles are going on any movement will result in cracked tiles, although you can use shower wall/wet wall instead of tiles, less joints

Shocking work. I wouldnt pay him a penny and certainly never get him back and never ever use PVA for tiling or plastering for that matter

PVA ok for plastering. Controls suction on porous surfaces and aids adhesion when skimming old plaster. Just don't use in continuous damp conditions. SBR for damp and mixing with cement based tiling adhesive for additional bond.

seen better jobs done by a builder, joiner, tiler, sparky landscape gardener taxi driver i know!.

must pay him for materials on production of cost only receipt there un-paid for goods!.
dont have to pay for labour charge but can charge him for job to be rectified.

the silicone can be pealed off chrome with thumb.
the rest wants ripping and re-doing though. start with water supplies and check for leaks before anything else is installed.

as for the tiles, i would fit pvc shower boards and glue to wall, that would never leak if done properly. it would take me a day to do that at half the price of tiles you bought.
timber and batten the bath/shower so it dont move and leave for a couple of days to set.

job done!.

btw, the leak might be coming from the screen upright section. not filling the base before fitting gives an un-detected leak that runs along the bath. sealing inside makes it worse as the section fillswith water through glass seals and other places.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Not paying for a job in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My plumber fitted a shower, 2 of the walls are glass panels and one is a tile board (wedi board). He joint the wedi board pieces (3 pieces) close...
Replies
Views
Not sure what my options are here. Basically a friend of mine recommended his father in law to do our plumbing/gas work for our renovation. First...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, A plumber did some work for me and has done so in the past as well and has been great which is why I hire him. Anyway the last job...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the...
Replies
Views
Hi Just had a new bathroom installed with a toilet bowl that reaches the back wall. Its has a bottom entry cold feed to the cistern. The fitter...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock