Discuss Not paying for a job in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
The whole install looks poor and unfortunately the only way to fix the leak would be to start again, silicone on grout is not a solution. As it has already been stated I would talk to Citizens advice or a consumer lawyer to get the facts right but no one should pay for workmanship this poor.
As said everyone gets the odd leak or something that doesn't go right bit this is terrible from top to bottom. Good luck with it and hopefully you find a decent tradesman to put it all right.

Building new wall will be disruptive. Fix 18mm ply, floor to ceiling, and screw tilebacker board to ply. Ply can be fixed to stramit with plugs and adhesive, and screwed through to pads recessed into reverse side of wall. Reinforce joints, scrim, in backer board prior to tiling.
As alternative you could consider shower panels, !0mm faced ply. these would fix to stramit with adhesive.

Last edited:
Hi Triple! Sorry you had such a terrible experience. I also feel sorry for your contractor because if only he knew how to silicon properly he would have gotten paid. I suspect your bath leak is coming from a poor seal.

A good plumber would know to silicone bone dry surfaces only and to tile after fitting the bath so tiles sit on top. If this goes to court please keep us updated and best of luck!

How did you find this so called plumber? Recommendation or on a web site? Did you see any previous work or ask to see any qualifications/ trade memberships?

Rocketman, with respect, I think you are being a bit harsh in the OP. Assuming he is telling the truth re the newness of the product, I probably would not pay for the parts. At the very least, I would be deducting the cost of the ruined product supplied by me.
RM, can you honestly say that the work looks like that of a reasonable tradesman, let alone one at the top his trade.?
I am not a plumber, but a Gas Service Engineer, and HATE bathroom work etc. But I would be embarrassed to put my name to that pile of rubbish.
That said, we know that we only ever hear one side of an argument, but pictures do speak volumes.

How did you find this so called plumber? Recommendation or on a web site? Did you see any previous work or ask to see any qualifications/ trade memberships?
It was on the local street life forum with some recommendations. Saw pictures of his work, apparently been a plumber for 25odd years and lived locally. Didn't see physically any work and didn't see or ask for qualifications. My fault there.

Rocketman, with respect, I think you are being a bit harsh in the OP. Assuming he is telling the truth re the newness of the product, I probably would not pay for the parts. At the very least, I would be deducting the cost of the ruined product supplied by me.
RM, can you honestly say that the work looks like that of a reasonable tradesman, let alone one at the top his trade.?
I am not a plumber, but a Gas Service Engineer, and HATE bathroom work etc. But I would be embarrassed to put my name to that pile of rubbish.
That said, we know that we only ever hear one side of an argument, but pictures do speak volumes.

That's your opinion.

It's up to the op what he wants to do. It's gone from a leak & dodgy silicone to putting in new walls etc.& ripping everything out.

For £1400 compared to other quotes of £2500 imo I think someone thought he was getting a deal.

I ain't involved & as said wouldn't wanna be the one to rectify unless it was all ripped out & started again but it'd cost the right money for the right job & I'd want a depo up front!

I wish the op the best. The job looks crap as we can all see.

That's your opinion.

It's up to the op what he wants to do. It's gone from a leak & dodgy silicone to putting in new walls etc.& ripping everything out.

For £1400 compared to other quotes of £2500 imo I think someone thought he was getting a deal.

I ain't involved & as said wouldn't wanna be the one to rectify unless it was all ripped out & started again but it'd cost the right money for the right job & I'd want a depo up front!

I wish the op the best. The job looks crap as we can all see.

The initial quote was for £2500. The invoice he provided after I refused to pay was for £1400. I paid £340 directly to electrician that was part of initial quote. To date that's £1740.

I wasn't after a deal, I was after a good job, which is far from what I got.

The walls being ripped out is a question and advice that I'm taking on board with reference to cracked grout and wobbly tiles. Not saying that's what I'm doing but surely must be a consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Not paying for a job in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My plumber fitted a shower, 2 of the walls are glass panels and one is a tile board (wedi board). He joint the wedi board pieces (3 pieces) close...
Replies
Views
Not sure what my options are here. Basically a friend of mine recommended his father in law to do our plumbing/gas work for our renovation. First...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, A plumber did some work for me and has done so in the past as well and has been great which is why I hire him. Anyway the last job...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the...
Replies
Views
Hi Just had a new bathroom installed with a toilet bowl that reaches the back wall. Its has a bottom entry cold feed to the cistern. The fitter...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock