Discuss Not looking forward to tommorows Gas leak in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Destroyer2813

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Got to find a leak on pipework only wont even hold for stabilisation,all appliances isolated defently on pipework. Next issue pipe comes from meter box through wall behind dot and dab then under newly tiled floor through kitchen and hallway. New kitchen was put in about a year ago and hes says hes been able to smell gas since then but only just thought to report it now:90:. To top it off who ever fitted the hob put a ballofix in as a isolater and and then when ive sorted all that out the fire is in one hell of a state as well soot and debris all over it and no ventilation

Dont u just love fridays

no i hate every day that has a custard in it not just a friday,it sounds like it may be easier to run a new supply with this one

Thats what i suggested but the blokes adament he wants me to take up a couple of floor tiles up seeing were the pipe may go and see were the leak maybe (he thinks its been screwed through somewere) susspended wooden floor but no idea how deep the floor void is, tryed to explain this to him in a 28 minute conversation,his phone bill not mine fortunatly.

In the old days we called this a Trace and Repair.

If not found within 2 hrs, stop and start running new pipes.

Before you start any work

Agree with the customer an hourly rate,that the searching for leaks may not work and you will be charging by the hour.

Cover yourself before you lose half a day, and then they ask for an estimate to run new supplies and say well you did not find the leak so why should we pay for your time searching. :6:

Best of luck

Kev.

In the old days we called this a Trace and Repair.

If not found within 2 hrs, stop and start running new pipes.

Before you start any work

Agree with the customer an hourly rate,that the searching for leaks may not work and you will be charging by the hour.

Cover yourself before you lose half a day, and then they ask for an estimate to run new supplies and say well you did not find the leak so why should we pay for your time searching. :6:

Best of luck

Kev.

spoken like one who has had some fingers burnt in the past

As above get the price in writing, and advise a repipe first.

Whats it going to cost him to trace then repair? Much better in this situation to advise the costs before doing anything.

walk in with a sledge hammer and see how long it takes for him to change his mind? lol

as others have said, i would agree a hourly rate for tracing and repair.

Thats what i suggested but the blokes adament he wants me to take up a couple of floor tiles up seeing were the pipe may go and see were the leak maybe (he thinks its been screwed through somewere) susspended wooden floor but no idea how deep the floor void is, tryed to explain this to him in a 28 minute conversation,his phone bill not mine fortunatly.

does he think it like water lift one board stick your head under with a torch and see where it's coming from!! if he thinks it been screwed somewhere you would need to lift every tile and board, trace every meter of pipe and check every joint untill you've found it!! as every one else says, agree a price, I would suggest stating that it will be an hourly rate for the course of the job, clearly stating that relaying of the floor would remain his resposnability!! and at the same time give him a quote for a new supply.

Ended up running a new supply surprise surprise took one kitchen unit out to start with then one tile and surprise nothing,was thinking it was suspended wooded flppr but nope block and beam with polystyrene and then chipboard straight on top explained this and even then he still said what about one more tile.
Explained to him this could go on till ive ripped out his hole kitchen, he then realised repipe was the only option agreed hourly rate then started. Al was going fine till i managed to crack my head open on a window i left open nice three inch slice blood everywere trip to hospital endured waited an hour and a quater got bored figured ive got stuff to finish ill come back if it starts bleeding again,so eventuly finished at half four. It was just one of those days I HATE FRIDAYS

spoken like one who has had some fingers burnt in the past

Not so much burnt, but giving fair advice has lead in the past to a quick look to see if I can help which leads into loads of time wasted as a favour to a customer!! Who then gets other quotes, who then cant even look me in the face whilst out shopping!

Not so much burnt, but giving fair advice has lead in the past to a quick look to see if I can help which leads into loads of time wasted as a favour to a customer!! Who then gets other quotes, who then cant even look me in the face whilst out shopping!

been there done that more than once, thinking they are genuine will defo use me and screwed, always agree a price, and remember they are paying for our knowledge as much as anything peeps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Not looking forward to tommorows Gas leak in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock