Currently reading:
Noisy hot water!

Discuss Noisy hot water! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gizmoid

Hi everyone, would appreciate any advice that can be offered. I know next to nothing about plumbing, so sorry if my post doesn't contain the right info etc.
We had a new bathroom installed a year ago, and although the fitter made out he was well qualified, it became very apparent he was not. After many leaks and probs, finally got the job finished (I spent about 2 days re-doing finished areas).
Soon after, we noticed that whenever the hot water is run, the pipes make a loud humming noise, as if a helicopter is about to land on the roof. Running the cold tap makes the noise stop, but then it starts again when the cold is turned off. The noise will take about 30secs to die away.
It seemed to stop during summer, but has restarted about a week ago and seems to be getting worse.
We have a storage tank in the loft and a hot storage on the 1st floor landing. I've tried to locate the origin of the noise, but to be honest the the pipes transmit the noise everywhere so I haven't found the source yet.
Does this ring any bells with anyone? Any ideas of a cause/solution?
Needless to say, the guy that did the work no longer advertises in the paper......
Thanks for any help

Sounds like classic store tank ball valve problem along with pipes without enough clip's.

Change the ball valve for an equilibrium or Torbeck valve. Cheaper again go to local plumbers merchants not B and Q and get a bigger float for the valve or a longer arm.

Thanks guys. I like the idea of simply getting a bigger float - my knowledge of DIY is incredibly limited!
Just to satisfy my curiosity, why would the present float be causing this noise? Is it causing the valve to partially shut whilst filling and so cause the vibrating? Thanks

Yes thats correct it is called water hammer, make sure all the pipes are well clipped too. The equilibrium valve would stop this.

Thanks. I've had a google on water hammer - think I'll try the equilibrium valve this weekend.

Yes thats correct it is called water hammer, make sure all the pipes are well clipped too. The equilibrium valve would stop this.

I beg to differ, I would call that "ball valve chatter", the piston in the ball valve is trying to close and the force of the water is pushing open the piston, a fraction, I have seen an 11/4" BS ball valve nylon HP seating suffer from longditudal cracking because of this

Well, I tried the Torbeck, made the noise a little better, but still happening.
As Plouasne figured, I thought the water pressure was too high to allow the valve to close easily, so have turned the 'mini-stopcock' on the pipe entering the tank to half-on. This has reduced the pressure slightly, allowing the valve to shut without noise!
Is it ok to leave the mini-stop at half on/off, or could this somehow cause damage?
Thanks

You could try closing the mains stop tap a bit to reduce the flow and initial pressure (though pressure will equalise when all outlets on system are closed). If that works you just leave it like that if you are still happy with the cold flow out of the kitchen tap, proper clipping is the real cure as said above, I find a lot of bathroom fitters/tilers (and kitchen fitters) "forget" to clip their pipework properly. Good plumbers know its required.

Yer should be ok but you are reducing the volume of water into the tank keep a eye on it incase it is not filling up quickly enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Noisy hot water! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back