Discuss No idea with what type of system i will require for a 6 bedroom/bathroom house in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I'm a home owner/investor looking to pick some brains of knowledgeable heating engineers and plumbers.

I have just purchased a house, currently a 1970's style 3 bedroom 1 main bathroom and downstairs WC property. currently using a 24kw Worcester combi boiler

I am looking to convert it into a 6 bedroom, 6 en suite house.
The issue I have is, I've had a plumber come and give me a price. He is suggesting to have 2x electric showers and the other 4x mixer showers, sinks and kitchen sink plus the radiators off a 35kw combination boiler.

I'm not a plumber but this seems like a bad idea. I have a combi boiler at home and the pressure is horrible if someone is washing dishes downstairs whilst another person is in the shower. I am happy to have 2 electric showers if the electrician thinks its ok so potentially it may only need to supply 4/5x mixer showers

Would type of system would you recommend for this amount of bathrooms if the water pressure was good. These are the systems I have read about but im unsure of what would be right/efficient system without running out of hot water all the time.

I will in time be getting quotes of local engineers but I'm trying to inform myself a bit first to make sure what should be fitted is correct rather then being palmed off with the easiest thing.

storage combi?
thermal store?
vented system?
unvented system?
Are there any other types that would suit this type of layout?

what kind of costs are we talking per system if there were 15x 700x700 radiators.

Boiler could stay in the kitchen and any of the above systems have a tank in the loft or the possible other location would be under the stairs but again I had the image of needing something like 500l tank for 6 bathrooms. Would this be able to fit in the loft or under stairs? or do they have to be situated together?

Thanks, all comments welcome including Sod takes

Hahaha bin that plumber off combis won't do two outlets let alone 4 haha

Two 300l unvented cylinders and secondary return if you have the space

Cost wise your best option would to get a few quotes

I have a feeling you would need to upgrade the boiler as well

But you do need a fair bit of space if you do plan to put the cylinders in the loft have a word with a structural engineer (you might need to beef the loft supports up)

I would say that maybe a conventional boiler and not a combi. With 2 unvented cylinders if you have the capability. But that also depends on how many baths you are fitting. Anybody else with any ideas?

Thanks for your input guys. Yeah you should have seen the face I pulled when he sid a 35kw combi. ha

Space is abit tight as I'm squeezing in another 3 bedrooms out of the property even converting the garage so the only space I have really is under the stairs, which isn't that big, the loft or split the larger main bathroom into 2 and use half as tank location.

There aren't any baths, just 800x800 shower trays. small basins, toilets and the kitchen sink. washing machines are off cold water. I think?

I agree with the points above, unvented cylinders and a system boiler if space isn't low, keep in mind you can buy horizontal cylinders, this may be the best option if you have a low loft space, side by side installation. Secondary hot water circuit is a must and also make sure you get the plumber to work out the correct pipe size, the flow from the hot outlet of your cylinder needs to be able to cope with the majority if not all your showers operating at the same time, at xmas for example or Monday mornings!

I can see his point in make 2no showers electric if they are only for people to use every now and then

Your cold mains supply will need to be considered as the incoming pressure and flow rate may not be sufficient to cope with your demand and performance expectations

well, tbh, the rooms will be rented to working professionals and they wont know each other. so I'm guessing/hoping they shower everyday so the electric showers should be in use daily.

Do you guys think you could get a 500l tank in a 1.5 x 1.5m space? or is that size tank overkill?

Thinking of using the old airing cupboard for the tank rather then the loft. I don't fancy having to brace the loft with steels or anything? Do you think having the tank upstairs is safe and not too heavy for having on the 1st floor joists?

What kind of flow rate should it need to be coming into the house? does it need to be 22mm plastic pipe? If it was just 15mm pipe or lead pipe can I get a builder to install 22 plastic pipe from the house to the road?

Last edited:
I would get a 32mm water main installed

And where are you located?

Do you guys think you could get a 500l tank in a 1.5 x 1.5m space? or is that size tank overkill?
probably need that space for pipework alone let alone the tank. Dont think you can get a 500l domestic tank...id say a 300l just for showers and hot taps would be ample tho.

probably need that space for pipework alone let alone the tank. Dont think you can get a 500l domestic tank...id say a 300l just for showers and hot taps would be ample tho.

That would supply hot water for about 14-16 mins to depleted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to No idea with what type of system i will require for a 6 bedroom/bathroom house in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock