Search the forum,

Discuss No cold water from bath mixer tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RyanStan

Hi there,

So, as the subject says, I have no water coming from my cold water mixer tap (bath).

Cold water in the basin works fine, flush on the WC works fine, hot water on both bath and basin work fine - Simply the cold water tap does nothing when I turn it on.

I have just purchased and fitted new taps, thinking it was something wrong with the mixer. Still no cold water.

When changing the taps, the flex-hose is full of cold water, so I know there is water going up to the tap, but nothing comes out when I turn it on...

I have tried the air pressure trick by holding a sponge, cloth over the tap, turning on the cold, then the hot, then turning off the hot and releasing the sponge/cloth - still no cold water

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
can you get a flow of water through the flexi pipe when the tap is removed?

welcome along.

welcome along.

I haven't tried that - but I can give it a go... I just assumed there was water going up to the pipe as its always full when I remove it.

Give me 5, I'll try it now!

How did you turn off the water to the cold to change the tap?

did you have to wait long for the bath tap to stop running?

Well, I've never seen the cold water tap running (on the bath), but the bathroom sink tap doesn't even get a chance to start running when I close off the value, the kitchen tap runs for about 8 seconds and thats the lot

Well, I've never seen the cold water tap running (on the bath), but the bathroom sink tap doesn't even get a chance to start running when I close off the value, the kitchen tap runs for about 8 seconds and thats the lot

no when you turned the main stop tape off did you drain down through the bath tap?

welcome along.

Ok...
Just done this:

I turn off the mains valve (under the sink)
Let the water run dry
Removed the cold water flex hose in the bathroom and put it into a bucket
Turned on the mains value
Water coming out of the kitchen tap, water coming out of the bathroom tap (basin), but nothing at all coming out of the cold water hose (bath) - Not even a drip...

Ok...
Just done this:

I turn off the mains valve (under the sink)
Let the water run dry
Removed the cold water flex hose in the bathroom and put it into a bucket
Turned on the mains value
Water coming out of the kitchen tap, water coming out of the bathroom tap (basin), but nothing at all coming out of the cold water hose (bath) - Not even a drip...

theres a valve turned off, pipework not connected, or if you have one a cwsc empty

Time to call out a plumber then?

Damn, I just spent £80 on new taps!!! Why didn't I come here first.......

Time to call out a plumber then?

Damn, I just spent £80 on new taps!!! Why didn't I come here first.......

have a look in your loft to see if theres a tank bigger than 2x2x2 FT

Well, I've never seen the cold water tap running (on the bath),

has the flexi got a tap slot on it? is it open?
do you have a hot water cylinder? and do the hot taps work?
or is it a combi boiler and the bath cold was missed as being tank fed when the combi was fitted??

have a look in your loft to see if theres a tank bigger than 2x2x2 FT

I'll have to do that tomorrow mate, kids asleep n all that jazz!

If there is one, which it sounds like there is - I'm guessing its empty? Is this something I can just fill up? I had a rad blow out a few months back and the whole system was drained via a bottom value of a rad, could this be related?

has the flexi got a tap slot on it? is it open?
do you have a hot water cylinder? and do the hot taps work?
or is it a combi boiler and the bath cold was missed as being tank fed when the combi was fitted??

No tap slot on the flex, just runs straight into a pipe that disappears into spider webs.......
I do have a combi that was fitted at the same time I had the rad blow out - Before that I had a big bum tank in my airing cupboard - Excuse the lack of plumbing terminology

I'll have to do that tomorrow mate, kids asleep n all that jazz!

If there is one, which it sounds like there is - I'm guessing its empty? Is this something I can just fill up? I had a rad blow out a few months back and the whole system was drained via a bottom value of a rad, could this be related?

thats fine and if you have a combi fitted they prob have forgot to connect up the tank out to cold water mains

thats fine and if you have a combi fitted they prob have forgot to connect up the tank out to cold water mains

Thanks for your responses.

I'll get back in touch with the fella who fitted the combi - Luckily I know him quite well :)

One final comment - I've just had a look at the combi and there is a on/off valve (which is currently off) on one of the pipes - If I turn it, I hear water rushing through the pipe - What is this for? And why would it be turned off? Thanks

****EDIT****

Nevermind, after some googling, looks like its a top-up valve

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to No cold water from bath mixer tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, Later this year I am going away for a 2 week holiday and as the weather will be warm there is no need for the heating to be on and arguably...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock