Discuss Nightmare in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Plumbing Nightmare
- Megaflo in attic (2012, serviced last 2015)
- Worcester boiler in kitchen (2012, serviced last 2015)
Jun-15: New washing machine installed, same feed pipe. There have been no changes to plumbing circuit for nearly 3 years at this stage.
Aug-15: First hear quiet bang/back and forth click after water used (hot/cold, up/downstairs). It seems to be coming from the attic and airing cupboard. Identified as cold mains pipe.
Sep-15: Plumber 1 is upgrading radiators and has a look at the noise. States that it is “100%” the toilet valves. One that seems faulty to him is replaced. No bang for 4 days.
Oct-15: Plumber 1 states that it must be the other valves too, so 3 more are replaced. At same time our ensuite basin tap fails and is replaced along with flow reducers to lessen noise. No bang for 3 days. When I finally get hold of Plumber 1 he rejects responsibility and states “it’s a problem with your system”.
Nov-15: Then he inspects the bang and states a faulty non-return valve on cold mains in attic is to blame. That or the header tank, but given that heating hadn’t been switched on since February, we proceed with the replacement valve. No bang for 5 days.
Dec-15: Plumber 2 returns to service boiler and megaflo (all fine), and investigates the noise and it suddenly stops when valve in attic for spare bedroom ensuite shower cold water is turned off. It makes sense as it was used a lot at the beginning of August. No bang for 8 days. Plumber 2 “too busy” to return. Turning the valve off stops the bang at the time, so when going to bed I have to do this every night.
Jan-15: Plumber 3 inspects and after speaking to South East Water and Megaflo (I’m told), they suggest installing 2 shock arrestors on cold mains in attic. No bang for 2 days.

We have spent nearly £1000 on fixing a problem that fully trained and well paid professionals can’t resolve. We have been told what the solution is several times but without anyone preparing to guarantee their work, meaning we take a gamble each time and always end up losing. There simply must be a solution to this.

Washing machines are notorious for causing water hammer.
Does this problem only occur when the washing machine is operation?

Another thing, turn you washing machine taps off when not in uses

With respect oz, the standard British washing machine valves would not last five minutes if they are turned on/off regularly!

The noise could be coming from the 'hot' fill to the washing machine if fed frm unvented? if the unvented suffering cross flow fault from cold mains - this means unvented cylinder slowly presurises up to 6 bar over night, which is then heated, raising the pressure to nearly 8 bar, then the washing machine kicks-in and bump owing to intermitant high pressure.

Other solutions would be to fit a flow resctrictor on the inlet to the washing machine fill. Because the machine now fills more slowly, there will be less risk of a bump. If this does not work, then a pressure reducing valve may have to be fitted on the cold feed distribution to the washing machine.

Other solution would be to fit 3 or 4 metres of plastic pipework on the mains distribution. Note that earth continuity must be maintained. The pastic takes out the bump.

Finally, plumbing is not an exact science, and there is no 'certainty' in the universe - so try to be a little sympathetic to the plumbers who are trying to solve your problem!

Don't think it will be washing machine new ones tend to be cold feed only, Have you noticed any increase in cold water pressure ? do you have a pressure reducing valve on incoming water main ?

The OP needs to register properly with a user name and start a new thread as the Mods will close this thread as he or she is unregistered.
Also they have to remember their plumbing system may be badly done or/and have valves unsuitable for new work, so not always easy

Last edited:
Check mains pressure and install pressure reducing valve if necessary. Probably also one of these if its water hammer. My own washing machine hammers away when in use.

[DLMURL="http://www.wickes.co.uk/Sioux-Chief-Water-Hammer-Arrester-1-2in/p/143498?CAWELAID=120135120001214524&CAGPSPN=pla&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping%20-%20Heating%20and%20Plumbing&tmcampid=&tmad=c&tmplaceref=d8SiMFXn&utm_content=sd8SiMFXn_dc|pcrid|43364569612|kword||match||plid|&gclid=COavmITF1soCFReZGwodh0IF9g"]Sioux Chief Water Hammer Arrester 1/2in | Wickes.co.uk

[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Please register with us and start a new thread to receive additional answers to your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Nightmare in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock