Discuss Newbie questions about fitting TRVs and flow direction in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dalty

My gas burner central heating system is about 40 years old. Piping is gun barrel.
I am thinking of fitting TRVs to several of the rads.
Before I hire an expert to do the job I have a few questions please: (words like 'draining' and 'airlocks' suggest it is not a DIY job!!!)

Forums tell me TRVs must be fitted on the 'inflow'. How can I know water flow direction by just looking at the rad?
All rads have an on/off valve at each end - one end has a static cap and the other a plastic fitting to turn on/off.
These I suspect have been reversed on some rads for ease of access.

Is flow direction important in fitting a TRV? I ask because the location of the valve is important for ease of access in some rooms.

Is messing around with 40 year old gun barrel likely to bring on leakage or other problems?

Looks like I can pay about £6 for a cheap valve or £20 for a Danfoss. Is it worth paying extra for the expensive one? Do these things tend to fail?

Thanks in advance

Dalty.

as its such an old system, is it a one pipe set up?
that would affect the choice of TRV's

If its a one pipe wouldn't bother with trvs if its two pipe then to find out which is flow, from cold turn on the heating and feel which leg feeding each rad gets hot first.

blimey if its 40 yers old, it must costing a lot of wonga to run it, yep if its one pipe dont bother with trvs. save some wonga, just get it cleaned out, that shouldnt cost to much,

danfos are bi-directional valves, so that shouldnt be an issue, easiest way to find out which one is the flow is feel the pipes and whatever one gets hot first should be the flow

OK, thanks for those comments.

BUT

1. Does it matter if the TRV is installed on the outlet side of the rad? Is that a no-no?

2. Would a pro plumber be confident about tackling gun barrel on a 40 year old system (the burner is new!!)?

3. Should I buy Danfoss or is the £6 job OK in a domestic setup (Danfoss talk a lot about commercial installations)

Dalty

as i said danfos are bi-directional, so they can be fitted on the flow or the return, if your thinking of getting a professional in to do it then post in "I'm looking for a plumber/gas engineer" on this forum

danfos are bi-directional valves, so that shouldnt be an issue, easiest way to find out which one is the flow is feel the pipes and whatever one gets hot first should be the flow
In my opinion these multi-directional valves do not live upto their name and should always be put on the flow for best results.
And the danfoss multi-directional valves are pure junk. This is the crap BG are fitting on their installs. I have lost count of the amount of jobs I have attended recently for these giving trouble. Most have been no more than year or so old.

what kind of troubles ?? and what valves would you recommend then

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Newbie questions about fitting TRVs and flow direction in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock