Search the forum,

Discuss new floors vs new central heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DamianZ

Hello,

I have recently bought a terraced house. It has a newly refurbished wooden floors upstairs. I would like to put new gas boiler and new radiators in. I had a plumber this morning and asked him if pipes could be run accessing from bellow, not cutting floor boards. He said NO !!!! in a most unpleasant way possible. Was it such a stupid question to ask? I will be refurbishing living room and kitchen, so cutting few celling plasterboards is not going to be end o the world. Can anyone post an opinion about that, please.

Damian

It's just a lot more difficult to do the job the way you requested.

It's not impossible.

Try an find an installer willing to work to you requirements.

There's a spot on this forum to post for an installer

As above and prob will need all the ceilings downstairs and the pipes will need to be either plastic or Mlcp pipe due to restrictions with joists

But still can be done

And if you would like you can post the job here to see if anyone is local to you

[DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]

As Shaun says I think youll find that most of the ceiling will have to come down it can be done but definitely not the right order to do it in normally.

Last edited:
Probably should have had the pipes put in before you had the floor done. Can some of the boards be lifted easily?

I've done this and the cost was pretty high for the ceilings and replastering. It's worth taking up the boards carefully as it's miles faster. Might be worth getting a carpenter in to remove all boards required and relating them after for optimum tidyness

Pull all the downstair ceilings. Reboard and skim when finished. Do it once, do it right.

Time you pay a chippie to lift floor(with no guarantee of damage) relay and refinish the floor you could drop the ceilings and re-board. Pipe runs will be a bit slower but still an easy enough job.

Some wooden floors will come up easily enough with no damage. It is also possible to do it the way you described, not ideal as it is more awkward to do it that way but certainly possible. I would look for another plumber.

Have you had new floor boards fitted or your existing boards sanded and stained/varnished

It can be done but it will involve a lot of mess and dust as basically every ceiling will need to come down, I can see why some wouldn't want to do it as the added work and cost could be hard to price for

Thank you for all your comments. Now I know it can be done, and it is not a crime against plumbing protocol :)

Damian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to new floors vs new central heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock